December 12, 2017, 06:39:02 PM

Author Topic: New Ohio deer calibers  (Read 3300 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
New Ohio deer calibers
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
Sorry I haven't been around for a while folks, but things have just been real crazy for me the past few years. I finally made time to go to Ohio for the firearms season, and to my surprise, discovered that they just legalized straight-walled rifles for hunting deer. The past few years, I have spent chasing the best slug gun and or muzzleloader to get the job done. Until now, I liked the range of the new modern muzzleloaders, but preferred the faster reloading  of the shotgun. Now it looks like I can have my cake and eat it too. What guns/calibers do you guys suggest. I am leaning toward the 45/70, or 444 marlin, but am open to all suggestions within a working mans budget. Any info on makes, models and ballistics would be greatly appreciated.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Re: New Ohio deer calibers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
I've got a .444 Marlin, Ellwood.  It's a pretty decent deer gun.  The caliber was originally designed for elk, so that may give you an idea of the ballistics.  Before I got it, I was undecided on either the .444 Marlin, .450 Marlin, or the .45/70 Govt.  After looking into the ballistics of each, I decided on the .444.  O0

I've got a Marlin lever action in .45/70 Govt., but it thumps you a heck of a lot harder than the .444.  :o

If you use the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo with the ballistic tips, you can use a bullet that is a lot more aerodynamic than the flat-nose bullets normally required for tube-fed guns like lever actions.

Cabela's used to also make scopes that were specifically designed for use with the LeverEvolution ammo, with reticles inside for the different distances.  I know they made them for the .444 and the .45/70, but I'm not sure about the .450.  I like the looks of straight-tubed scopes on lever action guns, so I've just got a Leupold VX-3 in 1.5 - 5 x 20mm on mine.

I like my .444 Marlin and take it about every year during gun season.  It will flat lay the smack-down on a deer!  :o

With the .45/70 Govt, you'll probably find more/different guns chambered in it than you will the .444 Marlin, but it's all personal preference as to what you like.  O0

Another thing to think about to is that you "could use" a .45 LC cartridge.  ;)   There's a pretty wide variety of ammo in that caliber.  The .45 LC and .45/70 Govt factor loads are generally loaded pretty light due to the large quantity of older guns that are chambered in those calibers.  The industry standard is to load them light so the older guns don't blow up from excess pressure.  :o   I've got some .45 LC that is loaded above SAAMI standards that I use in a little Marlin lever action carbine.  100+ yard shots are a piece of cake with those loads.  You can also get the LeverEvolution ammo for it as well.

The .45 LC will do the job and won't thump you as bad as the .444 or .45/70, plus you can use the same loads in a modern pistol chambered in .45 LC or .454 Casull.  O0
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:09:48 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »
He's alive! Ellwood is alive!  O0  ;D That's great news! I was getting worried he got kidnapped or something! We missed ya, Ellwood!

I think BC's advice is the route to go. The .444 Marlin will do the job without beating ya up.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've gone to a few ohio hunting sites and it seems like .444 is the leading favorite. A lot of guys don't want to spend a lot of money, since ohio is famous for changing the rules. I've been hunting there for 15 years now and have learned that change is a constant.  There are a few people who are staying away from the 444 because technically it isn't a "straight-walled cartridge", but instead is a tapered case. It is listed as a legal cartridge in the handbook, but a few folks are afraid that the "powers that be" will realize that it isn't straight-walled and remove it for next year(stranger things have happened) The most economic gun I have found is the H&R Handirifle in .444. I think a lot of ohio gun hunters have the same idea, because the Basspro outside Cincinnatti had them backordered. One guy online is claiming MOA at 100 yds with leverevolution ammo. Looking at their ballistics chart, this should definitely be a 200 yd gun, well within my shooting abilities from a treestand. The way it looks now, this will probably be my weapon for next year
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »
You may also want to get on Gunbroker to see what they have.  I got mine from my step-dad that owned the pawn shop.  It was used and had a few scratches on the wood, but it functions perfectly.  May be something to look into.  ;)

Make sure you top it with some good glass.  It'll rattle poor quality scopes.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »
Don't listen to BC Ellwood! He's just a wuss who can't handle recoil! LOL!  He flinches when he shoots a .22 short!:D ;D :twisted: :roll: :wink: JUST KIDDING!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've owned Marlins in .444 and 45/70 over the years and liked them both. I would prefer the .444 but, it is harder to find ammo for the .444 and the types of bullet weights and types aren't as good as the 45/70. That's my biggest complaint about the .444.

I still have an Harrington /Richardson-New England Firearms single shot in .45/70 with a Williams peep site  that I installed. It's one hell of a close in gun. I've popped several wild hogs over the years with it and it does the job and then some. Yea, it can kick, but because its not a big gun you can pull it into your shoulder better and you really don't feel it as much as you'd think. They even make one these days with a thumbhole stock and its made out of stainless steel. Mine is just your basic blued model but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either, and it will take a beating. It's not that heavy and is easy to carry all day. Like BC said, check gunbroker and maybe a few pawn shops and you might get a good deal on one.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
Oh Btw....H&R/NEF also make a single shot model in .500 S&W and .44 Mag. Just a thought!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
Good luck on whatever you pick! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:50:13 PM by bohicajuan »

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
Btw-btw....If I'm not mistaken, Ohio got their idea from Louisiana who now allow certain center fire cartridges to be used during the Louisiana black powder season. Louisiana is a rifle state so for them it wasn't that big of a change. There's been talk about doing the same thing for black powder in Arkansas and Florida will probably have their version in place by next season, if it hasn't been implemented already. This might be the next big thing during black powder hunting. I only hope it doesn't get crazy like what happened when some states started allowing crossbows during the regular bow season, and the compound bow people had a nut!!! :idiot2 :idiot2 :idiot2 :idiot2
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:33:38 PM by bohicajuan »

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 11:27:57 PM »
One thing I learned about the HR/NEF guns is certain ones can have the barrels swapped, kinda like an over-sized contender. Some guys buy spare barrels and ream them to 45/90 or bigger, some swap for necked cartridges. I think the rule is you can swap barrels on rifle frames including shot barrels but shot barrels only on shotgun frames. Greybeards is a great board for info on this.

John Andrews is my hero !

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments