November 22, 2017, 04:18:03 AM

Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Finally!
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
Finally broke my long dry streak for not getting a deer!  O0   Our late muzzleloading season opened Saturday.  Mason had been sick and missed school Thursday & Friday, so he didn't go with me.  :'(   Saturday morning found me in my favorite blind up on the saddle in the ridge well before daylight.  As it started getting light, I could hear turkeys on down the ridge.  They kept it up all morning and spent most of the day around me.  I'm here to tell you, 40+ turkeys make a heck of a racket!  :tickedoff

Anyway, I sat in the blind all day.  A little before dark I had a button buck come over the ridge.  We try not to shoot the buttons down there, so the little feller got a pass.  ;)   A few minutes after he came over, a little 6 month old doe came over.  She was fair game!  >:D   She had her head down licking on the mineral block when the .54 cal Knight belched smoke and sent a 325 grain Barnes bullet through the top of her neck.  O0   She crumpled like a sack of potatoes.  I got to looking through the trail camera pictures and the one right there caught the shot.  You can see in the picture below the doe is still in the process of going down and there's a smokey haze just to the left of the blind from the shot.  O0

That one was Saturday afternoon.  Sunday morning I was in a double ladder stand down off the hill.  About 8:30 I had a big doe and a little one come down the hill straight in front of me.  She stopped long enough for me to send another 325 grain Barnes bullet into her neck right below the throat patch. O0   She crumpled and slid down the hill a little, coming to rest right beside the road.  ;D

I can only get a maximum of 2 of the 4 deer I'm allowed down there with a gun, so I'm done muzzleloading.  I still have my buck tag, so this next weekend I'll be back out there with the Excalibur. O0

I got back up to the house Sunday and started on the little one.  Got her skinned, deboned, and in the cooler.  Took yesterday afternoon off work and went home to work on the big doe.  When I hung her, I weighed her.  She topped the scales at 125 lbs.  :o   That's a big freaking doe for down there.  I aged her at 2.5 years old yesterday.  She was in really good shape to only be 2.5.  Both of the deer were rolling in fat!  The fat on the doe on her back by the tail was probably 2" thick.  :o
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:55 PM »
Congrats BC. You sure earned it.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »
Congrats BC. You sure earned it.
  O0 Yeah on that! Nice going and pictures, BC! And more meat to come!  :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
Next time you need to bring back some steaks, that will keep your freezer filled for a year!!
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »

Next time you need to bring back some steaks, that will keep your freezer filled for a year!!
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Yeah, I wonder how mule tastes?  :? ::) :knuppel2

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »

Yeah, I wonder how mule tastes?  :? ::) :knuppel2

;D That mule is still running in the woods?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »

;D That mule is still running in the woods?

Almost every night.  ::)   I chased him with the 4-wheeler Saturday morning when I was going in.  He was coming around the hill on a road that I was getting ready to hit.  The headlights hit him and I sped up to get behind him.  Chased him for a couple hundred yards until I had to turn off.  ;D

During gun season, I was up in the stand that I shot the big doe from last weekend.  I've got an older camera that has the flash on it instead of the infrared, on the road that goes in front of the stand.  I was looking off in the direction of the camera right at daylight (but couldn't see the camera because it was too thick) and saw the flash go off.  Since it's not uncommon for bucks to cross the road right there and go on up the hill, I got out the grunt tube and doe bleat and hit both a couple of times.  Directly, here came that freaking mule around on the road.  :tickedoff :knuppel2   He had heard the grunting and was looking in my direction trying to find it.  I was temped to let the .444 Marlin loose on his azz!  :x

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »
How many ways are there to cook mule?  ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:32:48 PM »

How many ways are there to cook mule?  ;D

I've wondered that, as well as how it would taste.  ;)   I'm guessing at the very least I could grind it and use it for chili.  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
Don't be eating my mule!!
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Facebook Comments