October 18, 2017, 07:23:16 AM

Author Topic: Good Hunt  (Read 414 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Good Hunt
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
The company I work for shuts down each year from Christmas to New Year's, so I was off last week.  The boy's Xbox One crapped out Monday, so when I was headed down to the farm Tuesday afternoon for a few days of hunting, he decided to go with me.  O0

We hunted a little while Wednesday morning, but got cold (even with a heater in the blind) and came in around 10:00.  Went back out Wednesday afternoon squirrel hunting.  I shot 2 but couldn't find one of them, so that was all we got.

Thursday morning, we got up at 5:30 to head out again.  As my brother was fixing breakfast for us, he looked and the outside temp was 7 degrees.  :o   I made the "command decision" that we weren't going to go out in that stuff!  We wouldn't have been able to stay out there very long in those temps, and the wife would have kicked my butt if I had taken the boy out in that stuff!  ;D   Around 12:00 it had warmed up into the 20's, so we headed out to another blind.  This time though, Mason took his .22 rifle and I had the crossbow.  Figured we'd go try to get a deer, and pop any squirrels that came in as well.

We didn't see any deer, but Mason was able to get 2 gray squirrels, a fox squirrel, and a possum.  ;D   He had been wanting to get a fox squirrel for a while and luckily one came in.  When the possum came in, he asked if he could shoot it and I told him yes since the furbearer season is still open.  Popped him in the neck and down he went.

What was funny was when he went to go get it, I was in the blind with my phone ready to take a picture of him carrying it back.  He went up to it and kind of kicked it a little with one foot, and then kicked it a little with the other foot.  :?   I hollered at him and told him to get it and come back.  After he was back in the blind, I asked him what he was doing.  He said, "I had to make sure that he was dead, because, you know, they play "possum".  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He was dead serious, so I tried not to laugh at that, but it was hilarious!  ;D :D

As you can tell from the picture below, it was still pretty chilly, even with the heater going in the blind.  It never did get above freezing all day.  :tickedoff

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Good Hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
 ;D That possum wasn't going to fool him, even a dead one!  He sure did good, thanks to Dad!  O0

I don't blame you for not liking cold weather hunting. It usually isn't worth the effort and is really tough on kids.

My dad was a very mean b*stard, used my younger brother and me for rabbit dogs until we were almost frozen solid. He cursed and threatened us and finally let us go sit in his old cold clunker until he decided to quit hunting. A whop or two alongside the head and sometimes a kick in the britches was the norm before we were out of reach. We were nothing but rabbit dogs for him.  :tickedoff Poorly dressed kids of 4 and 5 years of age in deep snow  just can't take very cold weather like adults, but he didn't care.  :sad: I swore I would never treat any kids like that, and for sure, didn't.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments