December 16, 2017, 07:51:52 AM

Author Topic: Newly finished 6mm rem project  (Read 1253 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Newly finished 6mm rem project
« on: January 29, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
It's been over a year to complete this rifle. I started with a bolt and built around that. A Herters Mauser intermediate 98 receiver. Timney trigger, composite  stock, 26" heave 1 in 12 6mm rem barrel weaver windage rings and for now my Bushnell scope, Harris bi-pods.
 it took a LOT of work to get the scope looking the same direction as the mussel but that's a different story
NOW? What to feed it?
Now that I think I have a 6mm Remington , What to feed it.
I Know that in the 243 I use a speer 85 gr. as a deer bullet. I'll stay whit that, if they shoot as well in the 6 . What should I consider for coyote and then Prairie dogs.
 I'm kinda leaning to a 58 gr Grenade for little dogs and a 60 something for big dogs or wolf.
 I like the thought of using Varget as a powder.
 The barrel is a 26" heavy 1 in 12 twist as far as I can tell using a cleaning rod and a tight patch
 Pictures:

First target
100 yards
laying in a muddy field shooting off my back pack in a 20 mph wind.
the two groups are 5 shot groups.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:28:23 PM by D45/70 »
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Newly finished 6mm rem project
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:02:03 AM »
  O0  :) Wow! That is an awesome rifle, D! I hope you get some better weather to sight her in properly. I bet it will get good use for many years.

I agree, the grenade bullet would be a tad light for wolves. Is your wolf season open?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
Wolf starts Sept 15th and  runs to the end of march O0
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
 O0  :twisted: Nice long season, D! I remember when you started your build and I was wondering what the end result and looks would be. I certainly wasn't disappointed!

You are allowed one wolf per year? How much are wolf tags?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:02:48 PM »
 ;DWe can get 5wolf tags a year each... All at one time or one after the other.20 bucks each.
 Yes it is kinda a cool looking gun , now a good scope and sling some reloads and I'm ready to kill something with it...

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:38:14 PM »
 O0  :twisted: Now all ya need is a shot! The last new rifle I aquired was my Savage BMAG .17 WSM, bought it last year. I didn't consider it really broken in until I got to kill a decent varmint. I did just that yesterday, got a big feral tomcat.  :twisted:

I really like your MT deal on wolves. The only good wolf is a dead wolf.  :knuppel2

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »
Good looking rifle D.  O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments