December 13, 2017, 02:22:16 AM

Author Topic: 870 do it all grunt work gun how can you do it better?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
870 do it all grunt work gun how can you do it better?
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
My 870, I ask a lot from it and she never lets me down.

Bunny busting to goose slamming.
Deer to coyotes.
Hot  - cold, wet - dry , Mud - clean.
She does it all and very well.
AND she eats any thing you can stiff in her.

All with the elegances  of a John Deere.
 and the finesse of a Mule...
But I love her and would be hard pressed to replace her.
Maybe with a close cousin Versa max  [:D]
d40
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: 870 do it all grunt work gun how can you do it better?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
 O0 Right on, D! The 870 has lasted so many years for good reason. I have killed a lot of deer with an older model 870 and it never gave a hint of failure.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
I was in a goose blind several years ago and watched a guy take a screwdriver and a hammer to his 870, inside the action, trying to get the thing to quit jamming.  He eventually ended up breaking a piece off the side, inside the receiver.

The gun started working like a champ again after that.  ;D

I've got two 870's.  O0   One chambered in 3" with a wood stock & Express finish, the other chambered in 3-1/2" with a synthetic stock, Express finish, and scope mounted on it.

The first is my "all around" shotgun.  The second I've used only for turkeys.  Both have served me well over the years.  :) O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 05:49:34 PM »
You wimps use the 870!???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

REAL MEN SHOOT MOSSBERG'S!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :wink: O0

Just kidding!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I like the Wing Master alot. They came out with a light weight 20 gauge that was my favorite dove gun for many moons until I sold it. I wish I had it back now! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

The 870 Express is on its way to becoming the #1 pump gun in the Remington arsenal. Very rugged and reliable to boot! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »
Some more stuff I feed the 870

O0 :knuppel2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »
Man, that brass hulled slug looks impressive as all get out !!
 I kinda got programmed against the 870 a long time ago. Kind of a Ford/Chevy thing. I used Mossberg and Winchester. Truth is, having used a couple 870's it seems to me load for load the 870 ain't near the kickin' mule that the 500 is. At my scrawny size that means alot. If I get another pump gun, it'll most likely be an 870 in one form or another.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Facebook Comments