December 17, 2017, 06:34:09 PM

Author Topic: is there any trappers on here  (Read 5354 times)

Offline newtrapper23

is there any trappers on here
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »
I'm new to the trapping game and this will be my first year looking for any and all advice on the sport.like how and were would I find fur byers and how much can I make per fur.trapping techniques etc. I will be working in the NH ME areas and so far for trapps I have two# 110 conibears a 220 conibear two #1 long springs and a larger coil spring leg hold cant think of the size off the top of my head thank you

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: is there any trappers on here
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
Welcome to Gut Piles, newtrapper!  What you trap usually depends on what the yearly fur market is paying, and your local fur buyers.

The best thing you can do is hook up with local trappers and follow their leads. They can put you on to the best fur buyers, also.

And if you are interested in through the ice beaver trapping, you should for sure get hooked up with a fellow trapper before you venture out on your own. Winter beaver trapping is better when partnered up with someone else because of the heavy workload and safety on the ice.

I quit trapping years ago.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline newtrapper23

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:57:55 AM »
Thank you john I'll have to look around up here I'm not sure if there is any trappers left but put the ear to the ground and see what pops up

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
You are most welcome, newtrapper. I was lucky, I fell in with a couple of good old but still active trappers when I was young. We still have a lot of trappers here and you should have a lot of them where you live.

I reckon you hunt and fish too, right?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline newtrapper23

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 12:14:42 AM »
Yes I do. Trapping is getting to be a forgotten art so I kind of struck my interest.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
It sure is, especially the way we used to trap. There are less hardships now. It is a great pastime and puts some money into your pocket.

Most of my old time trapper pals are long since under the sod but I still have a few pals that trap. I also used to commercial fish. That's another occupation that is very active in this area.

If you do get into trapping, I know how you can make the best in the world coyote lure.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:22:36 AM by John Andrews »

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »
Welcome to the site newtrapper.  O0

Check your state's DNR / F&W site.  It will tell you on there any special licenses you have to have, as well as how your traps have to be marked, regulations, etc.  If it isn't on there already, check with the department's Information Center and find out who you would need to contact about the state fur takers organization. O0
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline newtrapper23

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
Hey thank you BC I'm currently signed up for the trapping safety course that NH requires you to take so that's a good start I guess there's vary good information in that class..but I'm definitely going to head over and read up on those other sites never no to much specaialy to keep GW happy..........john what do you have for coyote lure im trying to thin them out on my property there comeing in after my animals along with foxes thanks agine guys big help

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »
Welcome newtrapper23, and you're right, trapping has become a forgotten art. Up there where you live, you ought to get some nice pelts. Considering how cold its been this year, some of them furs will be prime for sure.

check out www.nationaltrappers.com too. I'm not a trapper, but know a few that do, and they belong to this organization along with the state they live in organization. There's a real good magazine called www.furfishgame.com. It has sections on trapping, and is my favorite outdoor publication next to Traditional Bowhunter.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline newtrapper23

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »
Yes fur fish and game is a grate read backwoods is also a good educational read I'll definitely look
In to the site link you left I'm just nervous about selling furs not knowing much I just don't want to get screwed I have looked into nafa I think it is and you call sell at an auction on consignment?

Facebook Comments