December 18, 2017, 02:10:48 AM

Author Topic: Going to Try it Again....  (Read 1574 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Going to Try it Again....
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
We've had a sudden drop in temperature and its been raining all day, so against my better judgement I'm not going to go trout fishing tomorrow. I will try and see if I can get a little gobbling action tomorrow and Sunday.

Now if I owned property say like.......BC has. It wouldn't be a big deal getting a turkey since he has 40,000 on his land. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :wink: ;D ;D ;D ;D

....BUT! Some of us have to get out and actually hunt!!! :-P :-P :-P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Going to Try it Again....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
Yeah on property with 40,000 turkeys! And deer, squirrels, and a mule!  ;D

Good luck, bo!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:36:40 PM »
Well, it was a self fulfilling prophecy. Saturday morning I got two to respond to my owl call and thought I had a pretty good chance of getting one of them. This has happened before and in times past I don't call as much but let the two turkeys battle with each other and hope to get them to come in.

I put out a hen decoy and was up against an oak tree and felt pretty confident. The sun was up most of the way, but I was in a bottom and the shadows were still pretty heavy and covered some of the approach. The fact that clouds were moving in with rain didn't help much.

After about 20 minutes of sparingly calling. Mainly yelps with a cluck tossed in. One gobbler was moving from my left to my right at about 30 yards, but I was afraid to turn because he might seem me.

I knew he could see the decoy and figured he was heading that way. I was so intent on him that I forgot about the other gobbler being so close. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the other bird coming in fast toward the decoy. He must have been horny as hell. He hit the decoy like a blitzing linebacker, and knocked it over. The fake decoy freaked him out and he flew off and the other gobbler was right behind him.

I couldn't F'ing believe it. I sat there for about 15 more minutes and tried to yelp a few times, but by now it was getting dark as hell and I could hear thunder moving in and there were even a few lightning strikes that were close enough to get my attention.

I went over and recovered the decoy and headed back to the clubhouse. By the time I got to the clubhouse it began to rain like Noah's flood. Hail about the size of peas came down and I just went to sleep and later that afternoon when there was a lull in the weather I drove over to a little cafe I frequent and had some country fried steak. For Christ sake DON'T tell my cardiologist. But god it was good!!

Went back to the clubhouse and turned in, and was woken up by more severe storms coming through that ran through the night and into the morning. Needless to say I didn't go out. About 9am I just packed up and came on home and read my newest Clive Cussler book.

At least I had a good meal! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: O0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:41:25 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:05 AM »
 O0 Yeah on at least you had a good meal, bo. Bummer on the turkeys but you know why they call it hunting instead of just shooting.  :sad: Hunting turkeys must be frustrating.

When is your next hunt?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
Sorry ol'tom got the best of you, but like John said, at least you had a good meal. Some of the best food I've had was at some small town, mom and pop cafes.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. I was back out at my club Saturday morning and my very first time tossing out my owl hoot, I got a gobbler to answer and he sounded like he was behind the closest tree. He wasn't of course, but you get the idea. I was standing in the middle of a firebreak that gave me about 30-40 feet of clear shooting. I plopped down with my back to a pine tree, counted real slow to about 20 and then gave some real soft clucks. No answer. I waited about 10 more minutes and this time let out some soft yelps. No answer.

I decided not to move and wait until the sun was completely up. By now it was about 6:30am and you still had quite a few shadows that cut into your vision. I had been using my slate call, but took out my Pen's Woods yelper. I've had this yelper for almost 40 years and it still works perfectly.

I gave a few yelps and no sooner had I put it down, when I looked up and this gobbler stepped out into the firebreak at maybe 20 feet if not closer. He was looking the other way and I figured it was now or never and took a shot with my 10 gauge and that was pretty much it. He never knew what him. Took him back to the clubhouse and weighed him at 20lbs 2ozs. 7 inch beard and the spurs were so small that they were like nubs.

Wish I could claim great hunting skill, but truth is I was at the right place at the right time and got lucky! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »
Good work and good read  O0 O0
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:29:04 AM »
Good work and good read  O0 O0
  O0  :) Yeah on that! Ya nailed him and it's a nice bird, bo. I still say it was skill.

Facebook Comments