October 23, 2017, 12:58:41 PM

Author Topic: Where to go, what to do??  (Read 659 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Where to go, what to do??
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »
 :D
Make no small plans,Someone said that.
 Well I have no shortage of big plans. It seams like I'm always planning something. Most don't go anywhere, some fall through, and some Life just gets in the way or lose there appeal.
 Well here goes another ;
 Every year we try to do a three day, dedicated Predator hunt after big game season. In the past it's been mainly for coyotes but last year it was wolf. That trip got Kyboshed by illness one day in to the hunt. BUT, Have you ever been camping in MT in Jan or Feb ? It can be ruff to say the least. Antelope season opens on Columbus day weekend. Archery deer/elk ends the week before. Our plan this season is to Go that week. The fur is in Prime way sooner then most people think and should be in good shape then too. Bear and wolf season open on September 1st and 15th so we have that option. Go way out east in to the river brakes and prairie for only Prime coyotes OR western Mt and work on wolf and bear with some potential for coyotes...
 Eastern Mt will be mostly deserted with only a few bird hunters.
 Western MT will have bird hunters, bear hunters, and wolf hunters.
 I just don't know What to do, plan for.
 We coyote hunt all year long with at least one day of calling a week so the wolf/ bear thing is very tempting. BUT Man I love coyotes, and 96 hours of calling coyotes is very hard for me to pass on.
 Distance is near the same wolf is about two hours farther but on a 5 hour trip that make little difference.
 WHAT TO DO????
 I have found in the past on a multigame hunt is you don't do your best and any of them , one game hunts you can concentrate on doing the best you can.
 Big plans Man, what would you do?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:52:37 PM by D45/70 »
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Where to go, what to do??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »
I would go after the wolf, D.

Winter camping, not!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »
I'm with John on this. Go for the Bear/wolf. You don't get to do that much and like you said you can hunt yotes anytime. Just don't go scaring off the bears/wolves by plinking at some dang yote.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:57 AM »
I'm with John on this. Go for the Bear/wolf. You don't get to do that much and like you said you can hunt yotes anytime. Just don't go scaring off the bears/wolves by plinking at some dang yote.
  O0 Yeah on that! I imagine MT has more than a healthy population of wolves and they are raising hobbs with the elk and deer population, not to mention how ranchers suffer with losses. The only good wolf is a dead wolf.  :knuppel2

A bear rug would look great, too.

Your wolf population is without a doubt, growing. I imagine your bear population remains about the same, yes?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »
 :DBear may even de increasing a little.
 Wolf is in good shape too. We can buy over the counter up to 5 licenses a year for wolf.
Problem being is even though there is plenty of wolf, you still have to be in the right spot at the right time. Wolf are VERY mobile, and there range covers Many, many miles.  Being still new hunting to us the chances of actually getting a wolf is very slim. Last year I think something like 40,000 licenses where sold and less then 300 wolfs where taken and of that over half where trapped. Very slim chances, to invest our annual killing trip on those odds make me tend to want to do a much more sure thing like coyotes. We still will make several wolf/bear hunts just more of a one day at  a time thing and maybe we will luck out.
Kinda leaning towards coyote as normal but wolf is a strong pull...
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Facebook Comments