November 22, 2017, 05:24:04 PM

Author Topic: Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit  (Read 486 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
 O0 This weekend The wife and I are going to where I drew the sand hill crane tag, scouting.
I never get to that part of the state, I got all the BLM maps of the area, the ownership chip for the GPS, block management , maps, WMA maps, open fields maps, and Bird enhancement maps. I looked at it with google earth , and state road map .I went out to our regional Fish and game office to get any Info they had, not much. I'll be packing my cheepo Kodak so hope to have some pictures of cranes. They only issue 10 permits and my boy got one too. He may be tied up still fighting our fires and won't be able to hunt with me... :Gleam:   
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 06:37:05 AM »
Good luck with the birds, D! Am sorry to hear your son won't be able to go. I also hope he stays safe fighting those fires.

You certainly have a lot of info to sift through for your hunt.

What shotgun are you using, and special reloads?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

Re: Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:27:52 AM »
You never know a snow storm can come racing in and put every thing out... Maybe!
I'll use the 870 .
I have to keep the plug in as to only have 3 shots, only need one anyway, but I can use lead shot .
SO if I'm not in a lead free zone I'll use my 3 1/2" lead "F"" shot coyote crushers and the extra full choke. On coyotes all covered in winter fur I can kill them out to over 60 yards , I would think a six foot bird in just feathers would be "NO PROBLEM"
If I'm on Federal waterfowl land , no lead, I have some 3 1/2 BBB goose loads I load that'll whack'm out to around 60 yards too...
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Facebook Comments