December 11, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Author Topic: Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit  (Read 672 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

The wife and I went on a road trip to check out the CRANE unit.
Broadwater county is where my tag is for one of ten given out My boy got one too...
I have only ever just driven through here on the way to other places never gotten off the black top. I have only once ever went and looked at the lake, Canyon Ferry, so it is all new to me hunting. In all it was a 330 mile round trip scouting trip. I looked on Google earth and my BLM maps, bird enhancement areas and open lands info. I Marked some likely spots on the GPS, with  ownership chip, I would try to check out. I had NO idea what I was looking for, marsh, grass trees, crops, or prairie country. I read that sand hill crane tend to be near water but are NOT fish eaters. In other areas I have seen them along marshy creeks and flooded alfalfa fields. After LOOKING at several marked spots with out much confidence in them, We ran in to a FWP guy doing some work along side an access road. It's funny how much difference there is between an officer and a Nuts and bolts guy working in a FWP uniform but that's a different rant. Anyway this guy is on the ground every day in the field and very willing to share his great knowledge of the area. On my BLM map he marked me some places to look and gave me the NAME of two ranchers where , his words, every crane in the valley pass through. NOW were talken...We checked out some of the places he marked and we did find some crane some of the places where some I had marked so We would have found crane on our own. But the Names where golden. We flopped around and found the people he recommended . One was not home the FWP guy said he would probably be out haying. The other person was home and VERY hospitable, more then willing for us to try and shoot "them noise birds" Come to find out there was an island in the river just behind the house that had 200 cranes roosting at night and they NEVER shut up!!!
We don't even have to bang on there door at "O" dark 30 for permission just don't park on the road and go hunt.
I have a plan now, every one said as the month goes on there will be more and more crane arrive .
Now I just hope the boy can be there, fire fighter you know...

D   
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:46 PM »
Wow, you really lucked out on the inside info. Good luck on the hunt.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Scouting my sand hill crane permit unit
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:19:05 AM »
 O0 Nice going, D! If you had not stopped and talked to the FWP fella, you would perhaps, still be scouting. 

I hope your son is safe and can make it back to hunt. Good luck to you both!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments