October 23, 2017, 07:53:27 AM

Author Topic: Freezing Giants, I hate to see them go  (Read 440 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Freezing Giants, I hate to see them go
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »

Come on you know I can't possibly be talking baseball

Last year my Granddaughter and I grew some monster sun flowers, some well over 13 foot tall. One in particular had a flower a foot and a half across. We saved and dried this head. Took about half the seeds and baked them slowly after soaking them in brine. The made a pound of salted sunflower seeds, spits.

This march we force germinated some of the dried seeds in a baggy on damp paper in our kitchen cabinets.
The trans planted them in to peat pots . The third week of May we planted them in the yard.
They did not get as big as the parent plant but they bloomed more profusely. The dry summer I think stunted them a little. But now when the heads are, were , filling the nights have been frosting and slowly killing our friendly giants. I don't think there will be any usable heads this year but it's kinda sad to see them struggle and succumb to the cold. well, NUTS I mean seeds Man...

d :uglystupid2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Freezing Giants, I hate to see them go
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
Nice sunflowers, D! Have the birds been working them over, too?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:28 AM »
Nope
 A squirrel messed up one but it never came back... :knuppel2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
I grew some a few years ago with the hopes of dove hunting over them.  Guess I didn't have enough because we never did get any doves over them.  The other birds tore them up though.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments