October 22, 2017, 04:44:10 PM

Author Topic: At last she got her moose...  (Read 965 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
At last she got her moose...
« on: October 06, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
 O0

Three 900 miles Plus each trip ,ten and a half days in the brush in all, and she got a moose!

We hunted sun up to sun down in crap like this...

So thick you could not push through sometimes. The side of the roads looked like manicured hedges. The dead fall was unreal , dark and seldom could we see over 75 yards.

The fourth day of the hunt, the daughter in law was so very discouraged she wanted to sleep in. The Boy and I did a two hour wolf hunt , no success, and talked her in to one last run up to a swamp we has seen a cow moose the first day. We pushed our way in to it and immediately saw the cow again. Closer scanning and at last we saw a BULL standing in the muck. That morning at nine the 338/378 went off and the moose fell in the mud.

Good thing we had an experienced chain saw driver.
He had to CARVE a path through the dead fall all the way out to the road just under a half mile. When we where finished we could roll the game cart fairly easy.
You know even a smallish moose is huge. We had to skin and dismember the critter where he fell. AND the Hornets, They swarmed in  like hungry piranhas. Even with the game cart and only one quarter at a time, the boy and I pushing and the D-I-L pulling it was all we could do to move it. Six trips counting the ribs, back straps , the head and cape. 

The skin and head you see is just the cape, front quarter .
The meat bags are up as far as we could push them with a stick way over our heads.  holy crap !!!
No using the four wheeler off road. But you can see the head is as big as the cart.

As far as wolf, we talked with the local sheriff.
He said the wolf have been hitting the moose for 5 years and, all but this one and his cow, have killed all the moose and moved up past Yaak to work on the moose up there, very lucky to see any kind of moose where we where. So no wolf or coyotes but we where hunting moose 99% of the time.

BUT !
Bear, man if you ever want to see and hunt bear I KNOW where to go. We saw bear every day we where out. BUT you know the moose thing I didn't want to be banging at a bear if there was any kind of chance for a moose.
    I did get a shot at a big fat chocolate bear one evening two minutes left of shooting light.
 I had to jump out run down the road jump over the edge, skid on my but, down the embankment and shoot off hand under the branches . AND I missed dang it.
 :'(

The moose is kinda small and only one shovel the other side drops down in to a small club. It will make a very interesting European mount to add to here collection.
Another cherished memory in all of our minds. SHE worked SOOO Hard for this moose!!!

D

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: At last she got her moose...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:47:36 AM »
 :shock: Wow! That was some tough hunt, D! Lesser man and company couldn't have done it.

Am sorry to see no wolf kill and bear, but that's tough hunting. Are you still going to be able to hunt bear and wolves this year?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »
YUP bear till around December 1st and wolf till next march 15th O0
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 06:44:26 AM »
YUP bear till around December 1st and wolf till next march 15th O0
  :twisted: Right on!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments