November 25, 2017, 02:38:37 AM

Author Topic: SCORE!  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
SCORE!
« on: October 19, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
The boy was finally able to score on a deer this past weekend!  :D   Saturday afternoon we had a big doe come in.  He had been wanting a buck, but asked me if I wanted him to shoot the doe.  I told him that it was up to him, so he decided to take her.  That .54 cal muzzleloader put a hurtin' on her!  O0   How she went the 30-35 yards she did missing half her heart is beyond me.  :o

I was going to get it mounted for him, but we hung her in the barn Saturday night and the dog got in there and ate the face off of her.  :tickedoff   Mason was kind of bummed, but he took it in stride.  I'm going to get the hide tanned and have the legs made into gun/bow racks for him.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: SCORE!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:38:45 AM »
I'v seen them run a long ways after a heart shot. I had a buck go almost 80 yards after I put a .54 Maxiball through his heart several years ago. Good to see the younger generation scoring. Congratulations to him on the kill and you getting him out to make it.
Bill
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »
Thanks Bill!  O0

I generally try to always hit the lungs.  Bigger target and they don't go as far as a heart-only shot.  ;)   The boy was so full of adrenaline that I'm surprised he got as good of a hit as he did.  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »
Way to go Mason! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

There's still plenty of big deer out there for Mason to get. Next one will be a Booner!

They've talked about special seasons on private land just for kids here for several years but nothing has ever come of it. They do have special kids, women, disabled hunts on state WMA's and they seem to be very popular.

Of course I wrote the DNR demanding a hunt for Super Cool Studly Men that Slay the deer and Satisfy the Ladies! They wrote back and said if such a hunt were held.....I would be the only one to qualify!

This is the Cross I must bare! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

:-P :-P :-P :-P
 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
 :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »

Of course I wrote the DNR demanding a hunt for Super Cool Studly Men that Slay the deer and Satisfy the Ladies! They wrote back and said if such a hunt were held.....I would be the only one to qualify!

Don't you mean they wrote back and told you no one like that exists, especially in GA.  ;)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:35:47 AM »
  O0 Mason did good! Of course, his coach dad did a great job, too!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »
I know it's late notice, but the boy filled his buck tag 11/15.  O0   We're calling it an 8 pt.  It's got some weird points coming off at the base.  Still a 1.5 year old deer, but plenty big enough for his first buck, and plenty big enough for me to be proud of him.  :) :) :D :D O0 O0

He made a good shot on it with the (dare I say it.....) Savage .243.  ;D   Hit it at the back of the ribs on the left side and exited just in front of the right shoulder.

I had him drag it down off the ridge and I had him field dress it.  That was a painful experience to watch!  ;D   He didn't quite have the hang of reaching up into the front of the chest cavity to cut the wind pipe and pull the lungs & heart out.  He kept asking if he was done, and I told him that when I saw all of the pieces and parts out on the ground that should be there, then I would let him know that he was done.  ;)

He had also gotten a squirrel a few weeks before.  The squirrel was a weird one, with a bunch of black on it's head and belly.  So needless to say, that one is at the taxidermist.

Speaking of the taxidermist.....  Between the doe hide, legs, squirrel, buck shoulder mount, and the legs from that one, I owe the taxidermist a small fortune!  :'(   Maybe I need to start a GoFundMe page to cover his taxidermy bills??  ;D

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
Congrats to the boy. You're going to have to work some over-time for that taxi bill. Weird squirrel indeed. Might near looks like a giant chipmonk, then I saw that was it's belly, not the back.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 06:28:46 AM »
 O0 Yeah on congratualtions, BC! I sure do like that squirrel, too.

GoFundMe for BC!  :wink: ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
Yeah, I wish I could get overtime.  ::)   I'm salary.  I know what I'm going to make every pay period.

Just for the boy's stuff that is at the taxidermist now (this years and last years possum & squirrel), it's about $1500 that I still owe them.  Between paying the taxidermy bill and paying on the guns I've got on layaway, I have ZERO extra money.  :'(

With the buck, I didn't think the boy was ever going to get a shot at it.  It was either facing straight toward us or facing straight away from us.  He finally turned slightly giving the quartering away shot.  At the shot, the deer bailed off the bench and took off.  I jumped up and stuck my head out of the blind so I could watch where it went.  It made it down the hill to another bench and fell, going maybe 75 yards.

That made 2 for him and filled both of his tags.  I ended up with 3 unused doe tags, only getting the one buck in Sept.  I was going to try to fill one of the doe tags and make the whole thing into jerky, but I didn't get much time to hunt after gun season.  When we did go out, the boy was sniping squirrels.  ;D   That's not very conducive to deer hunting.  ::)

But, he had a good year and had fun and that's all that matters.  O0   My time in the woods was limited to essentially taking "armed walks" and teaching.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments