October 19, 2017, 11:35:04 PM

Author Topic: Ducks and more  (Read 1543 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Ducks and more
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »

I don't how many stores I've told that start with my son and I starting off in the wee hours in the morning and heading off a some kind  of hunting or fishing trip. This one starts about the same. 4:30 very dark and the wind blowing hard out of the south west. The moon had not been up long and just a sliver , it was DARK. We were heading to Priest Butte lake with the mud boat and three BIG bags of goose decoys. Shortly after going through Vaughn The boy slams on the brakes and said we lost a bag of decoys, crap. No Idea where. We turned around and sped back. We see a truck along side the road loading something in the back of his truck. Pulling in to the center of the road we ask if he had seen a bag full of decoys, suspecting he had. He said "yes I just ran OVER it". Now this bag is as big as my couch. What ? He handed it over to us and said he just tossed a big pile of peaces in the ditch...There goes $300 worth of decoys.

We get to the lake and boat ramp only to see 2 to 3 foot waves rolling north to the side we wanted to hunt. Dang there was not going to be a boat ride in the pitch dark this morning. We made a decision to go up the Highway and park on a pull out and WALK to the land bridge that separates the two lakes . It's close to half a mile so we did NOT take the remaining decoys. Loaded 3 boxes of goose/duck shells  each ,water some lunch and our extra sitting in the wind and cold clothes and guns.

let me tell you it is way easer to get there by boat.

We got there in time , made a good blind with the local flora.

Fifteen minutes before we could shoot we had 100"s of mallards flapping so low we could almost jump up and grab them on there way over our blind.  The minute it was legal the ducks where all gone, How normal is that. A few way word ducks would fly by which we shot five. We had one good size wave of snow geese fly right in our face. With six shots fired, three each, we only had two snows on the ground I mean water. The 30 MPH wind sent them back to us in short order. Swans on the other hand ... They where in our face all morning. There an awful lot of fun to watch .

The walk back at noon was a struggle with the extra weight and the hard wind blowing against us. 'Nother great day in the field.

D   
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Ducks and more
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:38:49 PM »
Great hunt and story. What do you do with the snows ?
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Online D45/70

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 08:07:40 AM »
We grind up all our birds and make sausage and jerky .
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
 O0 Considering all you fellas were up against, you did really great, D. Your pictures are always appreciated, too.

What are you going to hunt next?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:39:29 AM »
  Going to try bear one last time this weekend, the D-I-L still has a deer tag and they both have another elk tag I thing.
 Then it's
Coyote time ! :knuppel2

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
 O0 YEAH! Good luck and I hope you whack a bear before you give lots of coyotes dirt naps.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
 >:(No bear but I did put on the perfect stock on a Black

Angus....
She got a very nice 4 point mule deer

Few of the neighbors

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:13:00 PM by D45/70 »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 05:29:59 AM »
>:(No bear but I did put on the perfect stock on a Black

Angus....
She got a very nice 4 point mule deer

Few of the neighbors

;D Lot of meat on that cow! Congratulations on her deer and for your successful stalk.  :wink:

I used to raise black Angus cattle. They were easy to stalk. in fact, they came when called.  :) :wink: ;D Sorry, D. A chance to poke with a sharp stick couldn't be passed up.

So, no bear yet but perhaps a wolf hunt soon?

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »
BC has his donkey and you have an angus...what next...ssshhhh... woodpecker, dang it.
 Yeah that's right every time I try to put the stink eye on a squirrel it turns out to be a %^& WOODPECKER!!
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »
BC has his donkey and you have an Angus...what next...ssshhhh... woodpecker, dang it.
 Yeah that's right every time I try to put the stink eye on a squirrel it turns out to be a %^& WOODPECKER!!
  ;D You end up stalking that bird that calls and sounds somewhat like a squirrel. It takes experience to tell the difference. At least you are getting lots of stalking practice.  ;D

Hey, MO. How do those woodpeckers taste? Do you fry them and make gravy?  ;D

As for myself, I know right away if it's a squirrel or bird.  :twisted:

Facebook Comments