December 17, 2017, 06:42:28 AM

Author Topic: hate to bring up another topic  (Read 1671 times)

Offline gottahunt

• Applied for my club membership...
hate to bring up another topic
« on: August 19, 2004, 02:54:05 AM »
i dont know about anyone else but it seems to me up here in "tater ville"
(Idaho)that corresponding to the topic "problems getting permission to hunt" the reason i cant get in a good hunt every once in awhile is A. a lot of people here have problems with trespassing(especially in pheasant season) and B. there is less and less private property to ask for permission to hunt on anyway, most of it is being bought off by stores and factories. so if you dont mind me askin can i move in with anyone in the east? hunting here stinks :evil:
THE SECOND AMENDMENT
IS THE ORIGNAL
HOMELAND SECURITY

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
hate to bring up another topic
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 12:50:21 PM »
Problems getting permission to hunt a piece of ground is one of the reasons why some people are quitting hunting.  Sometimes it just isn't worth the hassle.  Also, leasing of land is making it difficult for the "average Joe" to get permission.  Prime land usually takes quite a bit of money to lease, but there are other ways.............. :wink:

One of the best pieces of ground that I had to hunt I had leased.  A couple of friends and myself cut and housed the landowner's tobacco in exchange for the hunting rights.  No money changed hands at all, but it worked out great for both parties.  The landowners didn't have to pay anyone to get the work done, so they made more on their tobacco.  We didn't have to shell out any money to get the land, just a little labor.

I've gotten permission to hunt quite a bit of land by helping the landowner do things around their farm.  People don't want to do manual labor anymore.  I saw on the news this morning that more and more people are having to use Mexican labor to get things done on their farms because they can't find anyone locally that is willing to do the work.  I've never had a whole lot of money, but I've always been taught that if you want something, you work for it.  Start knocking on some doors around there and tell the landowners that you'll work for them, free of charge, in exchange for them granting you permission to hunt.  You'll probably be surprised at the number of people that will let you hunt! :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline shadow

Re: hate to bring up another topic
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »
Your right " Big58cal " Out our way everyone is posting property, or leasing it out to "Buffalo Hunters ) Buffalo Hunters are guys from Buffalo NY. who come down our way and lease all the prime hunting land. They never come down here in the off season to scout and most don't have a clue what their doing. Businessmen,with  no calluses on their hands and wouldn't be caught dead in the woods at night. lol,lol. My neighbors take the same view I do, "Posted" doesn't mean you can't come on my property, it means you better ask me first. We just want to know who's there and when .
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 01:28:51 PM by shadow »
Happiness is: A warm gun

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 03:16:53 PM »
yes thats a problem every where. truely the best thing now is making friends with land owners. find something you can do for them,and do it with no more thought then you'd give to doing something for any friend. it might take years to develope a relationship.
sometimes it can happen fast,i have two farms i can hunt becausei kill their woodchucks with my bow. having met me and dealt with me they trust me on their property.
i don't know how state land is in spudland,but michigan has vast tracts to use.most of the public land i hunt is little  pieces that others over look. one of my favorite is a little tucked away park thats used mostly by families for the beach and fishing.in the last two months i have seen no other hunters there. and six ice fisherman. and its only 5 miles from home.

Offline john

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 03:18:21 PM »
P.S.if you ever travel to michigan drop me a line,i'll find something for you to kill,lol

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 06:32:02 PM »
john im from MI your north of me though so if you all like killen things join john or I
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline gottahunt

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 02:02:58 AM »
geeze i wrote this topic a long time ago when i didnt know yall were so friendly...
u musta done yer diggin for this one
THE SECOND AMENDMENT
IS THE ORIGNAL
HOMELAND SECURITY

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 03:51:56 AM »
Gottahunt, I used to hunt the birds on the old Babcock homestead and the uncle's place next to that farm. It was right outside Nampa, next to the goose refuge. My buddy's uncle that owned the neighboring farm had only one leg, but hunted with us sometimes.  A few years ago I visited with another farm neighbor there, but I can't recall his name. He was a truck driver at the time. I think you would be able to get permission in that neighborhood. About my buddy's uncle that owned the next farm, he lost his leg and killed the second largest mountain goat in the state. He was wearing his artificial leg when he killed and dragged the goat out, by himself. Great folks, all of them.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments