December 11, 2017, 12:16:42 PM

Author Topic: Smoked 'n Sous Vide Venison Summer Sausage  (Read 1212 times)

Offline MossyMO

Smoked 'n Sous Vide Venison Summer Sausage
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
Did an experiment on some summer sausage and was very pleased with the results. Used 2 pounds of ground venison, 1 pound of ground pork and then added garlic summer sausage seasoning and cure #1 weighed out for 3 pounds of meat, gave it all a good mix and let it set overnight in the fridge. The next day stuffed the meat mix into 2 fibrous casings and into the smoker at 110 for an hour with no smoke, then bumped the heat to 130 and started applying smoke.  Smoked with a combination of hickory and apple pellets in the Maze smoker for 3 hours.

-----

Then placed the summer sausage separately into vacuum sealed bags and into a sous vide set at 155 for 3 hours.

-----

-----

After the sous vide the summer sausage was placed in a cold water bath and then refrigerated overnight.

The summer sausage turned out excellent, the texture and flavor were perfect!

-----

Thanks for looking!
Life is short, shorter for some than others...
https://www.facebook.com/MossyMO

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Smoked 'n Sous Vide Venison Summer Sausage
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »
Ok, I get the reason for taking temp up in steps. But I don't get the sous vide. This smoke wouldn't have taken as long to go with traditional 10 deg per hr. Also how do you decide how long in the sous vide ?
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
Ok, I get the reason for taking temp up in steps. But I don't get the sous vide. This smoke wouldn't have taken as long to go with traditional 10 deg per hr. Also how do you decide how long in the sous vide ?

Typically summer sausage in the smoker takes me 10 to 12 hours, with this method I think I can get the process down to under 5 hours.

With sous vide I can cut my time at least in half getting the smoke flavor I want ensuring a more moist, plumper product and with the tight temperature control of sous vide be guaranteed no rendering of the fat.

There are many customers of our seasonings that are unable to manage the temperature of their smoker, this could be an great option for them to make an excellent product every time.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:51:46 PM »
would still like to know how you decide how long in sous vide. Being vac sealed, you have no way to monitor the IT of the sausage.

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 07:40:11 PM »
Summer sausage in a fibrous casing does not need to be vacuum sealed to sous vide, I did it for the water not to dilute any smoke from the sausage. Without it being vacuum sealed you can insert a waterproof probe from a thermometer through he casing and into the sausage to constantly monitor the internal temperature. I have read claims that 60 to 90 minutes summer sausage can be brought to 155 in a sous vide, but not knowing I went 3 hours knowing it would not exceed 155.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »
That makes alot of sense.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 05:20:55 AM »
Sure looks good!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments