October 22, 2017, 10:46:55 PM

Author Topic: I'm no Rachel Ray... not food just calling coyotes  (Read 652 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
I'm no Rachel Ray... not food just calling coyotes
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »
  I woke up this morning a little before 4 and had a burning desire to call some coyotes.
I had my junk together ,thinking I may, loaded it up and headed to Freezout lake, a state water foul production area.
Slight east breeze and kinda swirly.
Warm enough that I didn't even take my jacket.
I planed to hunt the east side of the little lake but I found a peace of state closer to the town Fairfield. Just a small peace a 1/2 x1/2 mile, that looked down on to the highway.
I almost walked back to the truck when I saw how close it was to the highway. BUT,  I thought heck I'm here and the sun was Just getting the east sky light. I'll try a fast one and move on.
I set next to a 6x6 fence post in long wet grass.
There was a center pivot running on the privet side but spraying the stat land too.  Had to hurry or get wet, wetter... I hit the yodel call and a challenge.
BAM a coyote, running in full speed right through the sprinkler. The fence is a deer fence only 2 wires and no barbs. It went under and right to the call. Good thing I had a scope it was close ,under 50 yards but I could barely  see it with out the scope ,it was still quite dark. I gave a little bark and it stopped just short of the call and turned broad side to me .The 6 put it down handedly.
I was back in the truck in under 15 minutes for the time I left.[=D>]  [=D>] .

I hit some spots ON the lake out by the out houses, and campgrounds.  I had 2 others come in but I lost them in the tall brush never got a shot. I'm sure in the heave cover they got in to my scent cone.

I got to the back of the little lake kinda where we used to hunt the windrows for Pheasants but closer to the Fairfield (east) side of the state lands. We used to be able to drive in and park but they took out the RR crossing ???. Anyway I walked in about a half mile called there, had two different dogs yell back but no show.
Then I went to the far ( west) side of the big lake , I went in to the campground parked behind the small wind brake and walked out 10 yards from the truck.
The GRASS it very tall over there. I put the call in the trees again the Yodel and challenge and a lot of Pup.
I had a responder from someplace WAY out on the lake. It would call back about every 10 minutes but each time it was markedly closer. Almost an hour and dang It popped out in a short spot about 75 yards that with in 80 yards of the truck . Bang the 6 bit another on. saw several called 4 killed 2 home by 10:00. NICE.

Gota love a plan that works...
 [:D]

D   
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: I'm no Rachel Ray... not food just calling coyotes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:58:44 AM »
Yeah on great when a plan comes together, D!  Your 6 sure puts them down!

I bet those coyotes like those campgrounds. There are maybe lots of human food  leftovers for them at times? Or maybe a tiny  FiFi poodle straying from a campsite?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments