October 21, 2017, 10:59:34 PM

Author Topic: Riveting a boat hull any insight ?  (Read 944 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Riveting a boat hull any insight ?
« on: June 21, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
 :-\
  I have to get a little construction job finished on My house first.
 A cantilevered closet.
 Then I'm going to start my "cat" hulls.
 I'm using a two part epoxy made for aluminum  with an hour workable window.
 I'll have the holes all drilled to keep the joint clean.
 To prep the "AL" I'll sand them with 120 paper and clean it with Acetone
 and rinse with distilled water as per instruction .
 I have an air hammer and set and a buck.
 Any tricks ? How many rivets ? Ext ?   
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Riveting a boat hull any insight ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »
Dude, you are getting way outside my rhelm of experiance.nI hope someone can help.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:50 AM »
I used to rivet steel with 1/4" drive pin aluminum rivets and have tightened loose rivets in boats. But to build a boat and rivet it, not.

The drive pin aluminum rivets work really slick and will hold forever. They come in different sizes and lengths,  and may be what would work good  for you, D. An air rivet tool works really slick for them.

I bought some at one of our local welding and supply stores and use them at home.

While I worked in a GE switchgear factory for  4 years, we used them all day and I have never seen one of those rivets fail. We used 1/4" rivets and 1/4" holes were drilled for them. I strongly suggest using an air hammer tool. You can use a regular hammer but might inflict some dents and it will take much longer to drive the pins with a hammer. The pins are designed for air hammers.

The head of the rivet is rounded and smooth, and will fit flush with the surface of your aluminum. They would make a nice outside smooth surface for your boat.

The mentioned rivets spread 4 ways evenly as the pin is driven and would be a faster way of riveting for most folks but you should find some and make up your own mind as to if you want to use them.

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
They look like they would leak.???
 I'm planning on using 3/16 solid aluminum rivets
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
  Well !
 I  wimped  out.!
 I'm having both the hulls 3 pieces welded together as well as the corners.
 An extra $150 for peace of mind.
 I did some tests and I'm very confident the epoxy would hold.
 My riveting on the other hand...
 I will glue and rivet all the supports and front "Rake" on, as well as the tubing around the top, ext. 

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:36 PM »
 I'm feeling alot more at ease with this idea. Especially if the welds are done by a certified welder. Alum is not for the backyard welder and water tight welds are not as easy as some may think. I know just enough about it to stay away and hand it off to a pro.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 04:40:11 AM »
I think that is a wise decision, D. I sure do like your posts, lots of pictures and commentary. I sure would appreciate you keeping your boat building posted.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments