October 20, 2017, 12:22:32 PM

Author Topic: SST hornady 95 ndeer anybe coyotes Not so much  (Read 463 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
SST hornady 95 ndeer anybe coyotes Not so much
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »
I know the SST hornady is a deer round and at 2900 fps it should do just fine outa the 6, BUT?

I was shooting coyotes on Sunday and wanted to use them up so I can use the brass.

A kinda big investment on time and gas and lack of sleep.
It was a 3 AM wake up call and a 300 mile round trip
( 45 on pavement).
The calling was good multiple coyotes called in.
And 3 good hits, No coyote pictures ???

Two I saw die but two far on to privet property to retrieve.

One just disappeared in to the distance.

I know there not as accurate out of the 6 as my hand loads but still only an inch or two bigger group, should have been dead right there in my mind.

I'm thinking just a harder bullet and doing a fast pass through and not hitting a bone.
One had a BIG cone of blood spray and a fair trail but it made it off public land , a half mile never to be seen .

I really don't care much I never use a 95 for anything , just wandering about your thoughts.

I'll use them up on Prairie dogs. A shot coyote is a dead coyote anyway ...

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: SST hornady 95 ndeer anybe coyotes Not so much
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:37:47 PM »
I think you're on track with the SST. Sounds a bit too sturdy for yote. It's either a vital hit or a run down.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: SST hornady 95 ndeer anybe coyotes Not so much
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 04:50:36 AM »
I think that bullet is a loser for coyote hunting, D. Yes, they were dead dogs but not instant kills, for sure.

I sure do enjoy your nice pictures, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments