November 24, 2017, 01:23:57 PM

Author Topic: To windy for Praiaie dogs so we shot Paper  (Read 633 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
To windy for Praiaie dogs so we shot Paper
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
   :'(  Well the son and D-I-L must have felt sorry for old me and Steve , her dad.
They called late Friday night and said "We will pick you up at 7:00 am and try to do some Prairie dog shooting.
I knew it was going to be WAY to windy for calling but I was definitely up for anything. We where out to a kinda near by dog town and walked out. Glad I checked the 'puter for weather. It was around 28* and 25MPH north wind, not Ideal prairie dog shooting temps BUT...
By the time we got set up on a high spot looking down on to the town the few candidates went underground never to come back out even for a look. Dang!
Back to there truck and headed to a gravel pit we do some shooting in and it would be out of the wind.
The boy brought a "Few" guns that needed zeroing and a bunch of shells we needed to blow off for the brass.
Like a 17 rim fire ,cz, A Howa 22/250 both needed to be sighted in to Absolut zero. A 7.62x39 in cz , his 375 H&H and a 30/30 bolt  all had a bunch of shells the where tests and factory and loads we no longer used, also.
All needed to be shot for brass. We could pull the bullets but what fun is that...
We zeroed the two in first to keep the "Flinch" down after the other shooting Marathon .After 50 H&H shells we all flinched a little and even the 30/30 and 7.62x39 felt hard . Anyway a few 100 rounds where about froze to death and it was snowing fairly good so we came home.

On the way home we stopped at "A River Crossing" To see if it was possible to push his mud boat on to the ice and out in to the river. In the event the wind went down a bit we could do some boat calling, another day. Yes we can do that .
 The Ferry that the county uses instead of  bridge of course is on the ground for the winter.

[=D>]   
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: To windy for Praiaie dogs so we shot Paper
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 03:33:36 AM »
That was quite a shooting day, D! You folks can cover a lot of ground using the boat, I bet. It looks like the water is open, yes?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
 ;DThe first 8 Feet next to the shore Is frozen and a few miles down stream is all ice jammed up but up stream is open.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:43:00 AM »
So not able to boat hunt yet and ice not good enough elsewhere for ice fishing, D?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
So not able to boat hunt yet and ice not good enough elsewhere for ice fishing, D?

No we can and are planning on sliding the boat out to the water and do some boat coyote calling this weekend.

YES we still have 22 the 30" of ice on most the lakes in my area.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:45:33 AM »
I'm trying to figure out if that's a cabin on the boat and what is that aluminum thing on the stern?

If that's a cabin on the boat, I bet it's a warm one.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
Fan boat sure be handy right about now
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline D45/70

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »
 :'(YES yes it would be a fine time for the airboat.

The Ferry Is more like a floating dock.
 The aluminum thing on the side is a small boat, safety thing.
 The "cabin" is actually a motor house. There is two cables that runs across the river. One guides the Ferry and the other one is Winched with the small deasil motor. 

Facebook Comments