December 11, 2017, 10:23:33 AM

Author Topic: Coold calling ? what does that mean ?  (Read 924 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Coold calling ? what does that mean ?
« on: December 18, 2016, 04:18:12 PM »
  When The remote on the "Fox Pro" doesn't work, the camera will not turn on, and the boy complains about cold feet?
  It means it's butt COLD!
-32* 3 mph wind out of the north ish.
Sun not quite up but the moons is very bright, plenty of shooting light.
Sitting on the north side of the milk river closer to Canada then Gilford Mt.
PERFECT !
Warmed the remote and hit a lonesome female coyote sound followed by a dominant male scream then a long pause . Into Pup in distress. The cold is permeating my normal 7 layers of gear, we wait .
I'm looking south west, my son is looking south east.
The pup sound drowned on. Our walkie -talkies would only sound static, caused by the cold I assume.
I here the volume change on the caller, I knew something was afoot...
A LONG call session then I hear my boy yell "Dad can you shoot that coyote" ?  I flipped around to see a coyote running slowly away from him. In my mined I wander why He did not shoot it?
I got on it and shot, poof it disappeared in to the fluff.
The boy flipped around and look surprised.
He did not see that coyote ,and I did not see the one he had been working, well it worked and one down.
The camera is another story no picture of that one.
We could not get back to the truck fast enough, no skinning that dog, frozen stiff and we where too, we will have to skin it at home..
We passed a few other good looking spots but where just to still to cold still to try them. The sun was up now and bright. The radiant heat made the -30* huntable as long as you did not look right in to the breeze .
5 more sets blank.
We came across a peace that looked coyotie ,but we could barely hide the truck, but looked promising. It is VERY flat up north of the high line. Set up normal and called ,in the middle of the pup whine the volume dropped again , another dog I hoped.
YUP the little 17 fired ,and the sound you hope for fallowed, dead coyote.
An amazing shot for sure, 309 yards a side ways breeze shooting factory 25 gr hornady loads out of the hornet
 The coyote dropped in it's tracks. that two.

And we where whipped.
Time to head back.
D

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Coold calling ? what does that mean ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:43:37 PM »
Wow! Great read and great going, D! I don't know how you can stand it that cold.

I can understand why the coyotes would be frozen by the time you got them to your truck. You guys are really tough!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
What doesn't kill you makes you stranger !!!!
Thanks
If you wait for the weather in MT you NEVER go...
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:50:19 AM »
What doesn't kill you makes you stranger !!!!
Thanks
If you wait for the weather in MT you NEVER go...

Yeah on that, D!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments