November 21, 2017, 02:59:13 AM

Author Topic: A day in the shop with the waterbug  (Read 1177 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
A day in the shop with the waterbug
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »

I flipped the Waterbug hull bottom side up to work on the hulls.
I added some more bridging and cross support.

Then I took some 20 gauge cold roll and bent it to shape and added a small trim tab to the bottom and back of the hulls.
 The cold roll is to help stop sharp ice/rocks and it slides better then Aluminum. The lip is to "Brake" the water like a drip edge on your roof.

I'll add three ,four inch by 1/2 inch hdpe plastic to each cat to make it slide even better .

I'll paint the aluminum with a rubberized paint before permanently attaching the sheet. Then I plan to coat the cold roll with "Gaiter Glide" before the plastic to make it slid as easy as I can.
One day I'll put a motor on this thing...D
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: A day in the shop with the waterbug
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 01:01:20 AM »
That should really slide over ice and water, D! You are going to use something like an airboat fan motor? Or one of those jet setups like they use on the Colorado River?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
Airboat.
59" 3 blade , composite prop .
1600 cc Air cooled VW motor
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:22:43 AM »
:) When you crank that up, it will be one of hell on wheels go anywhere boats, D!

Your boat has been quite an undertaking. What's next with its build?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »
:idiot2 YUP For sure.

After I get the Hdpe On I'll paint the bottoms with Gaiter glide Paint to make it very slick. Then Back over and start putting the motor on. Have to fab up every thing. Did you know a VW motor does not use motor mounts? It must hang off the transaxle. I'm thinking about some kind of "L" brackets on the back where the bell housing would mount and under the block letting it kinda resting on rubber pads .
ALL the rest of the stuff like the drive ,prop, and the prop cage Has to attach to the motor mounting system so if there is any movement it is all together and move as one.

Still a ton of designing to do Rudders, Ailerons, Helm, electronics , ext

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:52:33 AM »
No, I sure didn't know that about VW motors. You still have a lot of work, for sure. You won't have to worry about shallows and mudflats when you get it finished.

I reckon you didn't expect that much work, I wouldn't have. You should have it out for a trial this Spring?

Offline D45/70

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »
In fact I think the work involved is about what I thought it would be.
 The $$$ on the other hand...
When I got the motor for a $100 T thought wow what a cheep way to get an airboat, WRONG!
Course I already have a boat and knew that ANYTHING for "Boat" is big $$$ :tickedoff

Spring time test may be a stretch.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »
Yeah, I bet it was VERY expensive but much cheaper than hiring it built! Your build looks like nothing like anything I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of boats. I live close to the Mississippi River. We have a lot of jon boat and other builders around here.

In Texas, I lived 200 yards from the waters of the Gulf. Your design would be very welcome there and here. your boat looks a lot more stable than regular airboats.

I think your boat will be able to haul a pretty hefty load, will not be just a wave jumper. It looks like a cross between a pontoon and johnboat. I like it very much.

You have a lot of design skill and very well appreciated here. :) I bet the kids are more than ready for a ride.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 07:57:08 AM »
The wife is less then enthusiastic :buck2

Offline D45/70

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
I'm an a mini airboat board, there not seeing my vision .
Most think I have horns growing out of my head in fact.
All I can say is " we will see"
I hope it works 1/2 as well as I think at least.
I'm expecting a different prop to be delivered this week , The one I have turns the wrong way , dang it. There both used but an expensive mistake for sure.
:'(

Facebook Comments