November 20, 2017, 02:11:47 PM

Author Topic: Dove hunting  (Read 1572 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Dove hunting
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »
yeah im doing better. having money is nice.
  O0 Yeah on that, sure beats the lean times.

You gonna make some more tries on the groundhogs?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
Yeah at some point. not sure when he is going to cut the fields yet so i need to wait till around then.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 01:30:39 AM »
Going to go dove hunting in fall and was wondering what kind of gear and shot size i need. Im figuring on 7 1/2 size shot. Using a 20gauge with a fixed modified choke barrel.

Hey amigo! How goes it? Sorry to take so long to answer, but been a bit busy these days and can't stop by like I want.

Dove "shoots" are a big thing here in Georgia, and it marks the opening of hunting season for us. Our opening day has fallen on the Labor Day weekend since before I was born. Opening day we usually have a BBQ to go along with it, and its as much a social event as a hunting one. We've been holding shoots for disabled vets to come out and hunt with us, and they bring the family and its a great time.

Your 20 gauge is perfect and the modified choke will be the way to go too. Nothing wrong with 7 1/2 shot but don't overlook 8 shot if you run low on the 7 1/2. Personally I prefer the 8 shot since dove are real easy to knock down.

I don't know where you're hunting but if the birds are flying higher than normal, don't be afraid to use high brass loads to reach out and touch them. Opening weekend usually means the birds haven't been shot at so normal field loads should get the job done, but when the birds start flying a little higher the high brass is enough to tag them.

Don't forget the Gatorade, ice water and sun block. Those opening days are often in the 80's here, but can go higher at times. It's almost a guarantee that someone will over exert themselves and wind up with heat exhaustion, and you'll be needing to cool them down.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 03:37:23 AM »
 O0 I would put my money on what bo says, he being a fella with years of experience shooting doves.
 You are ready for your big dove shoot I bet, bo!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
yeah sounds like solid advice. So think i will get a couple boxes each of 7 1/2 and some 8 to see which works out better. And having some drinks and sunblock sounds like a solid plan.

What did you learn?

Offline fuzztsimmers

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
Any thoughts on brands of shells to think about. Probably just going to get a case of remington or something.

What did you learn?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 03:48:58 AM »
Yes, or Winchester ammo.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »
 :-X :-\ :'( :sad: :shock: :-P
 When I hunt/ shoot doves , It's quantity not quality that counts.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
Any thoughts on brands of shells to think about. Probably just going to get a case of remington or something.

Personally I don't think it matters as much the type shotshell used when dove hunting. Your rifle may shoot a particular round better than others, but for dove shoots I'm more concerned about choke settings for the distance from shooter to bird, than what company shotshells I use.

For the forty plus years I've been shooting at doves I have used Remington, Winchester, Federal and Monarch probably 99% of the time. For a 20 gauge load I'd say that 7/8 ounce of lead shot is a good standard to go by.

Some higher brass loads are available in 20 gauge but you might have a hard time finding them in size #7 1/2 or #8 shot. You might have to go up to size #6, but since you're shooting a 20 gauge I don't see much of a problem. Opening day, if the birds are flying, you might wind up shooting 6 or 7 boxes of shells before you get the limit. Our limit is 15, and it is much harder to hit dove than quail or pheasant.

The modified choke should not constrict the pattern that much if you take a shot out to about 35-40 yards. 40 yards will probably be your longest shot with a 20 gauge, regardless of shot size. When I'm shooting a 12 gauge I still keep my shots as close to 40 yards as possible.

If you have the time and ability you can take 4 pieces of typing paper, draw an aiming point in the center, and staple them together so you have 2 on top and 2 on bottom. Then tack them to a tree or better yet to a shooting target stand.

Then pace off about 35 yards and then use the hood of your car or truck as a shooting rest and fire from a stable position at the paper, aiming for the center. If you have different brands of shot shell you can use a round from each to shoot the paper and check for the tightness of the pattern. It's really cheap and effective.

The 4 pieces of typing paper are not meant to be the dove, but doves hardly ever fly in a straight line, and they dart and dive and go up and down faster than you can keep the bead on them. By using the 4 pieces of paper you get an idea of the kind of "flack" pattern your shotgun is putting out, and this imho is the best way to see how the load you're using compares to the others.

A friend of mine hunts with a 20 gauge Remington and swears by Remington SureShot Heavy Dove Loads. You get an ounce of 7 1/2 shot and he has been knocking them down with those loads for years. He shoots a modified choke even on opening day because the spread is wide enough and with enough energy that it spreads enough at close range for low flying birds, but retains enough energy when the birds are farther out.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:18:42 PM by bohicajuan »
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 03:48:28 AM »
 O0 Spoken by an expert, bo!

Facebook Comments