December 13, 2017, 08:13:23 AM

Author Topic: Good Things Come to An End. It Sucks Too!  (Read 744 times)

Offline bohicajuan

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
Good Things Come to An End. It Sucks Too!
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
Since 1984 they have held an outdoor show here called "Buck-A-Rama. It became the thing to go to so you could see and buy all the new hunting stuff. It was always held the first weekend in August. It would open on Friday and run through Saturday and Sunday. It was scheduled to be here again this year, but due to poor sales and decline in attendance from past years it was cancelled.

This past weekend it was held down in Perry, Georgia, but that's a good 2 hour drive one way, and not many people from the Atlanta area were going to put forth that much effort. Neither was I.

We've talked about this before, that a lot of people that grew up hunting deer are now giving it up. Some of it has to due with less money to spend on outdoor stuff, but a lot has to do with the changing attitudes by hunters about hunting. When before it was about going out and enjoying time spent with friends or outdoors, has been replaced by people that think killing is the only reason to go.

They need to kill a deer and it must be a big one. They lease up huge tracts of land and plant gobs of planted fields and buckets of corn and other deer food. They wait for the deer to get a big rack and then they go out and shoot it. It's almost like shooting someones cow or pig. Not much in the way of being a hunter. People who grew up hunting because it was part of their heritage and culture are being replaced by people that don't have the first clue about being sportsman.
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Good Things Come to An End. It Sucks Too!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:20:13 AM »
 O0 Well said, bo! Yes, it's a real shame, the attitude change. We have more trophy hunters than regular hunters. It's all about size, antler points, skull size, and total kill counts for them.  >:(

It's rare to see another small game hunter. Most are in their deer stand watching and waiting for a record book monster buck.

I think a lot of TV hunting shows encourage many hunters to get out there and compete.  :tickedoff
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
Seems to be growing numbers of hunters around here, but I'm afraid the number of sportsmen is also in sharp decline. Personally I think outdoor writers and hunting shows bare a big part of the blame.
 Anytime you get a couple guys together there is going to be competition. Just the way we are made. I can do a job in an hour, with one assistant that time gets cut to about 20 mins. The math don't work until you factor in the competition factor. Deer hunting would have stayed at who scores more consistantly year after year or more in the bag if the shows and writers weren't pushing the focus to body mass, antler mass and point scores. Who got the nicer buck ?
 I ask "did it eat better ?" Doubtful. Personally I think does and yearlings make far better tablefare. I won't pass a good size buck simply because bigger deer means more table meat, but will I pass a doe or yearling... not likely. I couldn't tell you how many hunters I know eating tag soup because they were counting points.
 Then comes the whole who's got the latest and greatest. Most of those gadgets and gear are more designed to catch hunters purse strings than put meat on the table. Matching camo in the latest and greatest patterns...is it really that much better than Veitnam era jungle camo or grandpa's old red and black checked shirt ? I have my doubts. Especially if deer see in black and white only.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
I don't think there is any doubt that these TV shows have played a role in changing how people look and feel about hunting today. These so called "experts" are anything but experts. They go hunting at locations that are managed strictly for rack size and in some cases the native deer have been given an infusion of deer brought in from private game farms that are actually raising deer for the sole purpose of giving them superior genetic DNA that will in turn give their offspring a greater chance of producing bigger racks.

These places are charging successful hunters into the thousands of dollars to "harvest" a deer from their area. In this case the term harvest is quite apropos, since the deer are being grown like any vegetable or fruit and then harvested and put on your grocers shelves.

I agree there is a competition but when I was young I don't think it was competition with other hunters so much as it was competition with yourself. I played football from grade school through college and have shot IPSC and other type combat courses. I've participated in both military and police sniper competitions, but they were never the same as the way I felt when hunting.

Regardless if I was bow hunting or gun hunting or using dogs to chase deer, I don't think those who I hunted with were angry or jealous if you killed a nicer deer than them. In fact they were thrilled for your success, because the kill was incidental to the experience of hunting. The experience itself was what mattered.

You see how we've dropped off in numbers of guys that come here in post? We used to have a good number who dropped in daily and more that dropped in weekly. Now it's mainly you, John and D.
I'm busy as hell and so is BC. I'd venture to say that most of our old group is in the same boat, and some might not even HAVE a boat!

I wonder if we're going to become more like Europe, where only certain classes hunt and fish? Working folks can't get the time or afford to hunt over there. On the one hand I'm thankful that owning firearms is less restrictive today than it was back in the 1970s. But the fun we had hunting back in the 1970s is no longer there imho. So even those who still have the time and money might have hung up there guns because who wants to take time off just to spend it with people that are miserable to be around?

I think John might be the last hunter left who just enjoys squirrel and rabbit hunting! O0 :wink:
It's a shame others can't see how that small game hunting is every bit as fun as deer hunting, but it lacks the big payoff! Sad.

To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »
 ;DWe "hunt" gophers ( ground squirrel ) all summer, and Prairie dogs all year. In the winter cottontail are always fun.
More elk here now then when Lowie and clarkie came by looking for an easy way to get cross country.
 To get away from the weekend weird ones  , you just gota get out of bed sooner and maybe walk 300 yards
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 04:42:27 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt that these TV shows have played a role in changing how people look and feel about hunting today. These so called "experts" are anything but experts. They go hunting at locations that are managed strictly for rack size and in some cases the native deer have been given an infusion of deer brought in from private game farms that are actually raising deer for the sole purpose of giving them superior genetic DNA that will in turn give their offspring a greater chance of producing bigger racks.

These places are charging successful hunters into the thousands of dollars to "harvest" a deer from their area. In this case the term harvest is quite apropos, since the deer are being grown like any vegetable or fruit and then harvested and put on your grocers shelves.

I agree there is a competition but when I was young I don't think it was competition with other hunters so much as it was competition with yourself. I played football from grade school through college and have shot IPSC and other type combat courses. I've participated in both military and police sniper competitions, but they were never the same as the way I felt when hunting.

Regardless if I was bow hunting or gun hunting or using dogs to chase deer, I don't think those who I hunted with were angry or jealous if you killed a nicer deer than them. In fact they were thrilled for your success, because the kill was incidental to the experience of hunting. The experience itself was what mattered.

You see how we've dropped off in numbers of guys that come here in post? We used to have a good number who dropped in daily and more that dropped in weekly. Now it's mainly you, John and D.
I'm busy as hell and so is BC. I'd venture to say that most of our old group is in the same boat, and some might not even HAVE a boat!

I wonder if we're going to become more like Europe, where only certain classes hunt and fish? Working folks can't get the time or afford to hunt over there. On the one hand I'm thankful that owning firearms is less restrictive today than it was back in the 1970s. But the fun we had hunting back in the 1970s is no longer there imho. So even those who still have the time and money might have hung up there guns because who wants to take time off just to spend it with people that are miserable to be around?

I think John might be the last hunter left who just enjoys squirrel and rabbit hunting! O0 :wink:
It's a shame others can't see how that small game hunting is every bit as fun as deer hunting, but it lacks the big payoff! Sad.
  O0 I certainly enjoyed reading this, bo. You put it to words better than I could.

Being a rabid squirrel hunter and shooting an occasional rabbit and feral cat ( cat being my favorite game  :twisted: )  results in more personal satisfaction than hunting deer and big game. Bringing home big critters was shorter lived enjoyment. In fact, it was more work than it was worth, as well as much more expensive than chasing squirrels.  ;D 

It's much easier to carry small game that drag a big critter, especially considering my age.  ;D

I entice pals to buy .17 rifles, the first step of luring them into squirrel hunting. Then I forward hunting videos using super accurate and long range rifles for small game and varmint hunting. I have a good success rate. :twisted: We have turned several of their children into absolutely rabid squirrel hunters already.  :)

I have plenty of really good and mere minutes from home places to hunt because most landowners will grant hunting rights for squirrel hunting and some actually invite me to hunt! I have two brand new places to hunt this year, invitations.  :)

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 04:45:51 AM »
 O0 That's awesome, D! I'm certain you would come up short living anywhere else. All that and that close to home!

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
  O0 I certainly enjoyed reading this, bo. You put it to words better than I could.

Being a rabid squirrel hunter and shooting an occasional rabbit and feral cat ( cat being my favorite game  :twisted: )  results in more personal satisfaction than hunting deer and big game. Bringing home big critters was shorter lived enjoyment. In fact, it was more work than it was worth, as well as much more expensive than chasing squirrels.  ;D 

It's much easier to carry small game that drag a big critter, especially considering my age.  ;D

I entice pals to buy .17 rifles, the first step of luring them into squirrel hunting. Then I forward hunting videos using super accurate and long range rifles for small game and varmint hunting. I have a good success rate. :twisted: We have turned several of their children into absolutely rabid squirrel hunters already.  :)

I have plenty of really good and mere minutes from home places to hunt because most landowners will grant hunting rights for squirrel hunting and some actually invite me to hunt! I have two brand new places to hunt this year, invitations.  :)

I've always liked rabbit hunting with dogs, but it has been a million years since I've been. Having a couple of beagles chasing a cottontail or swamp rabbit around is super fun. Met a man up in north Georgia that uses dogs to hunt squirrels. Never have used dogs on squirrels, but it must be fun. Are dogs legal in Iowa for squirrels?

He also loves his .17! He told me that he never wanted to stop using his .22LR but after a few rounds from the .17, he said he was hooked!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:17:17 PM by bohicajuan »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 02:50:13 AM »
I've always liked rabbit hunting with dogs, but it has been a million years since I've been. Having a couple of beagles chasing a cottontail or swamp rabbit around is super fun. Met a man up in north Georgia that uses dogs to hunt squirrels. Never have used dogs on squirrels, but it must be fun. Are dogs legal in Iowa for squirrels?

He also loves his .17! He told me that he never wanted to stop using his .22LR but after a few rounds from the .17, he said he was hooked!
  O0  :) Yeah, rabbit hunting with dogs is a blast. I've done it a few times with a pal that had rabbit dogs. We did a lot of coon hunting with hounds, too.

On one occasion, a farmer's little dog followed us to the woods and it was a great squirrel dog. It was one of the best hunting experiences I ever had. Yes, it's legal in Iowa.

A couple of my old time pals raised squirrel hunting dogs but we didn't hunt with them.

About .17 rifles, I have always been hooked on them and gave up hunting with .22 rifles when the .17 HMR hit the stores and of course, bought one. Years later when the .17 WSM hit the stores I had to buy one and haven't looked back.

I don't have to sneak into range. The only time I have to sneak on a critter is to get a clear shot.   :twisted:

Offline bohicajuan

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 01:00:32 AM »
;DWe "hunt" gophers ( ground squirrel ) all summer, and Prairie dogs all year. In the winter cottontail are always fun.
More elk here now then when Lowie and clarkie came by looking for an easy way to get cross country.
 To get away from the weekend weird ones  , you just gota get out of bed sooner and maybe walk 300 yards
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

I wonder sometimes if maybe we've been too successful in our wildlife management. I sometimes think we were better people and truer sportsmen when there weren't as many deer? In 1972 the average length of deer season in Georgia was one month. Some areas were a little longer and some were shorter. Some areas were totally closed. The total limit was two bucks during the gun season.

Today the gun season opens statewide in mid October and runs into January with some areas opened longer still. The deer limit is 20 and only 2 can be bucks that meet certain antler size criteria.

People get spoiled and jaded and behave like complete jerks, and forget what hunting is all about.

Of course I see this everyday, and you're seeing it every night on the news. Things are getting worse day by day, and you wonder how much longer this can go on before the lid blows off? And I'm not just talking about hunting.

Facebook Comments