December 18, 2017, 01:16:36 PM

Author Topic: anyone reload Rio blue steel goose loads?  (Read 126 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
anyone reload Rio blue steel goose loads?
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
First off;
 My load is a published load I have been using for a LONG time. I just cant find my Rio pamphlet it came from.
 We do a lot of goose/duck hunting on the river after Big game and before it ALL freezes up.
 On out last outing you would think My boy and I where shooting blanks and the D-I-L had all the "loaded" ones.
 She flat out kicked our buts, that trip.
 My boy has a Winchester 1100 pump and mine is a rem 870 super express, D-I-L just got a Stoeger auto.
 We all run a .669 choke ( very tight) . I do the shot shell reloading the boy does the brass stuff.
 We have found that a Rio blue 3" hull ,Fiocchi 616 ( ? ) primer 35 gr steel powder , TPS wad and 71 #2 steel shot (240 gr) and 46 #B steel shot (260 gr)
 That is just under 1 1/4 oz. ,the smaller shot has to be on the bottom at 1500 fps is death ( normally ) on Canada geese and golden eye ducks.
 50 and 60 yards work well, not so good on a gadwall that sometimes slips up on you under 30 yards and that really is not the right load but, dead is dead.
 I have checked the speed with our Magnetospeed in different temperatures and there very consistent.
 We have not put the new auto on paper yet but what we saw I would say it is putting the spread right on target.
 We have printed out shotguns and at 40 yards a 30" circle will get close to 90% of the shot , you can see the #2/ #B spread .
 Most the B are in 15/20 inch and the #2 will fill in the rest, few flyers of either.
 I weigh every powder load and that are exact, I use primer trays to actually count the pellets, never mix the two, the weight may very slightly but the count is exact.
Anyway what do you goose slayers use ?

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: anyone reload Rio blue steel goose loads?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:26:43 AM »
I used to load with an old Mec 250 but no longer reload, D. I sure am glad to see you folks busting some birds! Your DIL is quite a good shot!  O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

Re: anyone reload Rio blue steel goose loads?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
Your DIL is quite a good shot!  O0
YUP a dad burned Annie Oakley. O0 :D
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Facebook Comments