September 25, 2018, 05:33:56 AM

Author Topic: Tired of working in the cold time to call some coyotes.  (Read 4924 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Tired of working in the cold time to call some coyotes.
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
 >:(
Every morning to lunch I have been in the shop working on the "Bug".
Slow going, making the "Belly plate" between the cats , it's to keep the water off the prop, which is a must I guess.
With one person it is a two step forward and one step back on every rivet.
 Just need one more LOOONG arm.
Anyway I'm getting it and it will work fine, when completed I'm going to get it filled with foam for flotation, and rigidity.
It's been well below zero most the days and with my propane heater I can get it up to around +10* in the shop, workable but harder to work, you need  coat and gloves.

ALLLL that said I'm tired and planning a calling trip some time this weekend " Weather permitting" .
 There calling for a heat wave at around + 15 and light winds, BUT it has been snowing every day since mid week in all about 10" down here on the flats.
That makes travel tough and walking even harder, the coyotes don't like it either and are hard to coax out for a " Good Time". I'm going to try anyway just not good weather for another try at the cow elk, there is still a month to get that done.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Tired of working in the cold time to call some coyotes.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:04:00 AM »
  :shock:  :sad:  Those are awful conditions to do stuff like that, D! My shop isn't heated and it sits idle all winter unless some unusual warm weather come along.

Good luck with the Bug, coyotes, and elk!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »
I needed a brake from Boat Building and freezing cold shop.
SO I went calling today. It was a heat wave with 2" of new snow +13* and mostly calm .
Loaded up the Snowmobile and pull utility sled and headed north.
We needed to get out before the ice fisherman hit the ice. I planed to take my fox pelt as a decoy but left it behind dang it.
We did Have our silhouette " Kojo" and the shockwave.
Wonderful day and called in a lot of coyotes. We felt the decoy was kinda of a detriment and making the coyotes hang up at 300 yards plus.
I had one dead to rights but I missed My boy did much better with a off hand over my head shot at a coyote sneaking up behind us.
300 yards 17 hornet off hand and we had one down, he is a great shot.
Ice fisherman where crawling all over us by now so we left.

Can you see the bullet tip sticking out of the coyote ,
Just the plastic tip the bullet exploded in side like it is designed to do.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:37:59 AM »
 O0 That is really cool, D! And yes, I can see that plastic tip. That shot was from the .17 hornet was good, too. Are you back on the elk again?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
No
 Kinda waiting for weather.
It is a LOOOONG trip and I don't want to go and find I cant get around..
I'll call at the end of the month and see if there seeing some cows first.
 Bummer every thing out there is bulls....

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 03:41:05 AM »
  :shock: Yeah, that is strange, so many cows. Usually, hunters can't find bulls.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
My boy just sold 9 Coyote pelts from Last year , to free up freezer space for this years crop.
$495 averaged $55 apiece.

just skinned and frozen not finished .
He is going to buy a 110 volt "flux core" wire welder with part of the cash.

This is some of what we are getting with the cash.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Welder...ux+wire+welder

Not a big unit but very portable and we can run it off our generator we already have . In the event we have a structural problem in the on sight water testing the air boat, period...
The other portion will be to insolate and finish the Boys shed so we can "finish " the hides and get another $25 each.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 04:32:55 AM »
 O0 Right on, D!

Facebook Comments