Author Topic: Is Minus 45* to cold to call ?  (Read 626 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Is Minus 45* to cold to call ?
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:17:30 AM »
Are we nutz or what? we are Planning a dog trip this weekend. The forecast is light wind but -28* and -45* wind chill.
All the areas schools are closed today because of giant snow fall, buss routes are a mess.
It's about 100 miles one way all gravel .
Are we wasting our time ? We have called successfully in -37* air temp but it is an extreme way to go. for sure.
It takes the coyotes a LOT longer to respond or come in and there not moving for any food sounds. You have to really PI$$ them of to get them to move.
Anyway I think we will try, if we cant get there we will just have to hunt where we get stopped
:idiot2 :crazy2 :uglystupid2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Is Minus 45* to cold to call ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »
WAAAAAY too cold for me. I wish you luck and pray you don't get stuck in the snow.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 06:08:11 AM »
 :shock: Yeah, what MO says! I wouldn't even stick my nose out the door! That isn't just cold, that's dangerous cold!

Besides, how can you call when your words freeze and fall to the ground?  :wink:

This old Injun says stay in teepee close to the fire.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »

Ok we're back.
It was cold and we had to use snowshoes but the sun was out and we saw coyotes on every set.
Problem was none of them wanted to fight.
They would just appear on a rise sit down listen to our trash talk then simply walk away to do what ever coyotes do when there not coming in to be shot.

It was a little COLDER then what the forecast called for, kinda.
On the flats it was only -18 but the wind was close to 10 mph. When we dropped in to the river bottoms and big coulees it was from -27 to -35 but the wind was lighter by a lot. At -35 any wind sucks but we had the right stuff on and the sun was out so not as bad as it sounds.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 02:14:35 AM »
Maybe not bad when thinking like a polar bear, D!  :shock:  :wink: As for those dogs, is strange behavior, yes? Do you suppose someone else educated them?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »
Maybe not bad when thinking like a polar bear, D!  :shock:  :wink: As for those dogs, is strange behavior, yes? Do you suppose someone else educated them?

All public lands where we hunt so that is a possibility.
 BUT I think the cold the amount of snow where the biggest factor.
Just did not hit there fight threshold ...

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:20 AM »
Yes, even too cold for the coyotes?

Facebook Comments