October 15, 2018, 03:59:10 PM

Author Topic: Painting my boat  (Read 3534 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Painting my boat
« on: February 23, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
OK Time to think of an operational airboat. Waterbug.
 I want to camo paint it with FLAT paint.
 I'm not a good painter but I have painted tractors and such.
 I have a gravity ( tank on top ???) feed spry gun.
 Part of the boat is aluminum , part Farris , some wood.
 I know Al takes special primer. Is there a problem if the Farris / wood gets covered too?
What type paint should I use? Remember Poor painter, probably have to paint out side ( in the Summer ). EASY please, one part paint.
 What's your thoughts. 
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Painting my boat
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »
They suggest you pickle the aluminum first before painting but I didn't when I painted my johnboat a couple of years ago and the paint has stayed on just fine. I painted it OD with paint I bought from a local marina that sells aluminum boat paint. I painted my boat with a common roller and brush.

One coat of paint was all I needed.

The paint isn't cheap but worth every cent.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:48:30 AM »

Here is what I'm planning .

The wood is on the floor and holds the seats in , and three strips of oak on each "cat" as runners above the Hdpe plastic runners.
The aluminum is what the Cats are made of and the steel is all the Drive and supports. My Plan. clean and sand the Al, spray with etching Al primer Letting it over lap where it happens, then spray automotive Rusty Steel primer, letting it over lap where ever too.

Then spray an oil wood primer on the wood trying to keep it mostly on the wood. Then I'll use " Implement" enamel  with a flatting agent to do the Camo in a Gray, tan, black, and white color scheme.
 I'm just looking for some hints and brand names 
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:38 AM »
I used to paint a lot and for metal I always used DuPont when I worked for GE. In Texas I used Sherman Williams and it held good on steel but I recommend DuPont lacquers and enamels. Time your paint from 18-21 if using spray DuPont.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
"Time your paint from 18-21 if using spray DuPont. " ?????

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:11:06 AM »
"Time your paint from 18-21 if using spray DuPont. " ????? Yeah, a paint timer is a small pot with a wire loop handle and a hole in the bottom of the little pot. You dip in your mixed paint or pour it full and time how many seconds it takes for the small paint pot to empty.
Good spray paint of that type should take from 18-21 seconds to empty. It is a gauge to see if your spray paint is properly thinned. Those timing gauge pots are cheap, just a few bucks but worth it if spraying large expensive items.

DuPont auto paints need a primer coat. I am also a professional painter.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:13:00 AM by John Andrews »

Offline D45/70

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
I am also a professional painter.

Cool I'll be asking you a LOT of questions
You ever make it to MT? I'll buy beer you run the spray gun ....

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:11:07 AM »
Cool I'll be asking you a LOT of questions
You ever make it to MT? I'll buy beer you run the spray gun ....

O0 I would certainly like that, D! I was through the corner of MT but didn't get to spend any time there.
We would have your boat and anything else painted in short time.  :)

Offline D45/70

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
Nice my house could use a touch up mostly on the south and west side.... O0

Facebook Comments