September 26, 2018, 03:17:55 AM

Author Topic: OK B*tches, I'm Back!!  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
OK B*tches, I'm Back!!
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

All you slackers better get off your butts and get back on here and get to posting!   :knuppel2

Yeah, I know I've been slacking too and haven't been on here.  YOUR VACATION IS OVER THOUGH!!!   ;D   Sad to say that I had to have the boss-man reset my password where I couldn't remember what it was (not that HE'S been on here either...... ::) ).

Been busy with work and the boy mainly.  He's 16 now and has his driving permit so he's been making me a nervous wreck!!!  He's already scratched the fender on my truck, loosened up one of the fog lights and put a couple of big scratches in the cover, and put a hole in the side-wall of a tire, costing me $250 for 2 new tires!   :x :x

Had to get a boat because he's on the bass fishing team in high school.  Got it last fall and we're trying to sell it now to get an upgrade.  He's been wearing out the bass in the lake down at the farm though.  He's caught a 7.5 lb., 7.2 lb., 6.5 lb., and too many to count between 3 and 5 lbs.

I'm still addicted to guns and "might" have added a few more to the collection.  ;)   Latest one I put on layaway is a Browning A-Bolt in .308 with a big Burris scope on it.

Got to hunt some last fall, but not as much as I wanted.  Didn't get anything with the crossbow last year and it took me until the late muzzleloading season in December before I finally filled a tag with a really good 8 pt. after sitting in a blind all day through snow, damn near gale-force winds, and sub-freezing temps.  The boy got lucky and tagged a really wide 6 pt. during the early muzzleloading season in October.

Anyway, I'll try to not be such a stranger going forward.  What have all of ya'll been doing?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: OK B*tches, I'm Back!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:34:43 AM »
Yeah on that, BC!  O0 I have been here every day and a few others on occasion. D45 has been busy here.

The Boy seems to be following the path pretty good and has a lot of energy and your money to burn, huh, BC?  :wink:

Sounds like a tough hunting season. It was lean here for some of the season. I'm not hunting those big critters you fellas are clobbering but made my mark with some squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, and my favorite, cats, got nailed. I'm using my .17 WSM for most of my hunting. It is puredee lethal.

My daughter Heather showed up here on Christmas Eve and was carrying a gun case in the door. Inside the case was a nice 8mm Mauser for me.  O0 :)

With no decent heat in my shop, I let it sit in hibernation. I will be busy making sparks and grinding knuckles and fingers soon.

Morel mushrooms will be up before long and the fish should be biting.

Yes, I'm still intact and working the dang old day job. We were issued new vehicles, uniforms, plus upgraded weapons and gear a while back.

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
Welcome back. O0
I HAVE been trying to hold up your end but unsuccessfully I'm afraid.
:crazy2
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately John I didn't get out squirrel hunting as much as I wanted to this past year.  :'(   It always seemed something was coming up taking my time.  Congrats though on the critters you did get!  O0

Thanks for trying to hold up my end D.  ;D   It's a thankless job, I know.  ;)

The boy was the reason I didn't get to hunt some.  I cut him loose on his own deer hunting this year.  The early muzzleloading season I heard him shoot just a few minutes after daylight.  Since taking care of him is my #1 priority, I packed up my stuff and went over to where he was.  Found out where the deer had been when he shot and where it had run to.  As I was walking the top of a hill trying to cut the blood trail, we heard/saw the deer jump up across the hollow and take off.   :o   Since it had been about 20-30 minutes since he had shot, I knew he didn't get the hit that he thought he had.  It pissed him off, but I made him back out and we went back to the house to let the deer lay up and die.  After about 4 hours we went back up there and found the deer dead just a little past where we had initially lost sight of him when he jumped up.  O0   I went back the next morning but only saw a little 4 pt.

Gun season I saw a couple of spikes and a couple of does and that was it.  Opening day of the late muzzleloading season I bundled up and looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but sat all day in the blind.  A little before dark, a small 4 pt. and a doe came in below me.  After they left, 5 does came over the ridge followed by the big 8.  He wasn't the "exact" deer that I was after, but he was good enough, not to mention that late in the season beggers can't be choosers.  O0   After the old .54 cal Knight barked, the deer piled up about 20 yds. down the hill up against a tree.  Little did I know, the boy was up on the ridge behind me about 60-70 yds. away predator hunting.  When the Knight cut lose, he about jumped out of his skin!   ;D   As I was walking down the hill after getting out of the blind, he came walking up the bench.  When I saw him I said, "Just who I was wanting to see!"   ;D O0 >:D

My nephew was weed-eating along the fence back during the summer and uncovered a rattlesnake as he was going along.  :o   Between him unloading 8 shots from his .45 and my brother coming out and shooting 2-3 times with his Taurus Judge, they finally killed it at point-blank range.  ;D ;D   About a month or so later, my brother went into an old shooting shack we had by the barn.  He yelled and came out of there backwards!  I thought he had been stung by a wasp but there was another rattlesnake in there.  :o   He carries a Taurus Judge with .45 LC and .410 shotshells in it.  He tried indexing the cylinder around to one of the shotshells, but he was so flustered he put it under the hammer.   ;D   Of course when he cocked it, it fired a .45 LC.  Swing and a miss!!  ::)   He did the same thing again, but actually hit the snake that time, but it didn't kill it.  He finally figured out what he was doing and hit it in the head the next shot with the .410 shell, killing it.  Both of the snakes were less than 30 yds. away from the house there at the farm.   :o   I took them both to the taxidermist and had them skinned out and put on one display board.  It looks pretty cool, but it's HUGE!  The thing is close to 6' long!

Still running cameras down there at the farm.  I think I've got out 17 right now, but need to put out 3 more I know.  The only bad thing about so many cameras is that it takes a pretty good while to go through the pictures.  The last time I changed the cards they covered about a month and I ended up with 17,108 pictures!   :o   Still haven't even started on that bunch yet.  Still going through the previous time I changed them.

Better bail and get back to work.   ::)

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:19:59 AM »
 :shock: Rattlesnakes that close to home!  :knuppel2 Wow!

When my brother and I were kids he and I killed the biggest rattlesnake I have ever seen in Iowa. The spot where we killed it with rocks is about 80-100 yards from where I am sitting. We haven't seen any more in town.

I think you need to give some folks some snake shooting lessons, BC!  ;D Your place sounds like good snake country.

O0 I'm glad to hear you and the boy got in some good hunting and he has taken to hunting like you, fortunately. It's sad many dads don't have that much concern for their kids.

I don't see near as much small game I did years ago but I do a pretty good job with the squirrels and rabbits because of my .17 WSM.  :twisted:

Before hunting season opened last fall, an elderly widow was listening while I was talking to a pal at a yard sale. Of course, our conversation was about squirrel hunting.

The nice widow asked if I could eliminate some bird feeder raiding squirrels behind her house in a grove of big oak trees on the property she owns. Her property is close to town and sounded perfect.

When season was open, I called her and showed up and discovered she had no concept of a grove of trees. Her "grove" consisted of three trees and one was of average size.  :roll:

I spotted one gray as it bolted and ran to a nest in the top of one of the skinny trees. I was surprised how wild the squirrel acted and asked her about it. She informed me her neighbor kid had been shooting the squirrel with his BB gun.  :roll:

So, I set up in sniper mode and waited, knowing exactly where the gray offender was hiding. The little devil wouldn't expose himself until I did a mock squirrel call using only my mouth. Sure enough, the bugger started calling from his nest but wouldn't budge. I quit calling and later, talked him out of his nest.

The dumb/smart squirrel didn't know what hit him.  :twisted:

I told the lady if she had more problems, just call me. I haven't received any more calls from her.

My shop is like a deep freezer until the weather warms. 
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »
Yeah, I've made quite a few squirrels show themselves squeaking with my mouth.  O0   Works well to get the little buggers to stop for a second too.

We've got a Winter Weather Advisory on right now here.  They're calling for 2-4" around the house.  I thought today was the first day of spring!!   :tickedoff

Turkey season opens up around April 15th or so.  Don't know the exact date, but it's always around tax time.  Got quite a few pictures of gobblers down at the farm and they're gobbling now.

The boy has been wanting to get out on the lakes and do some fishing but they've been too high from all of the rain/flooding we had.  They're finally starting to get back down to normal now, so we should be heading out before too long.  O0

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 03:48:35 AM »
It's in the mid 20s here right now  :sad: ( 0116) and high in the 40's today.  I'm not up late, I just got up and got here to GPS.
Where is GP? He get lost?

Not much going on here, will be on duty at 0800. A lot of yesterday was spent chasing down vehicle owners and giving warnings to owners of expired license plates. I also took care of a problem fella. He will find himself unemployed this morning and banned from the base when he shows up for work. :knuppel2

I will probably be crawling all over commercial trucks and jawing with truckers today.

There won't be any checking fishermen and hunters for a while due to weather and closed hunting season.

A couple of murders of crows know me at work and come for snacks when I whisle. We have been pals for several years. There used to be 4, now are 8 of the gluttons. The same one usually shows first and calls the others.

I now have hearing aids in both ears and can hear a gnat fart. It has helped my hunting. :twisted:

Offline D45/70

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
I now have hearing aids in both ears and can hear a gnat fart. It has helped my hunting.

That's why I type so big , I just can't hear anymore.
I have aids too but at $3000 EACH , they stay at home never in the field.
I do use Electronic shooting muffs for hunting , there great I can here the coyotes thinking about coming in...
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 04:46:19 AM »
That's why I type so big , I just can't hear anymore.
I have aids too but at $3000 EACH , they stay at home never in the field.
I do use Electronic shooting muffs for hunting , they are great. I can here the coyotes thinking about coming in...

;D Those are SOME hearing aids,D!Yes, the cost has sticker shock but they are a must. I think they are over-priced.  My hearing got so bad I was lip reading much of the time. I tried some cheap mail order ones and they didn't help enough. I spent a small fortune for good ones, too.Because of my day job, I need good hearing and yeah, it helps hunting.

You still have wolves on your agenda? I would like it very much if you folks could bust some. The only good wolf is a dead  :buck2  wolf.

Offline D45/70

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:53:41 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
 Wolf is over till Sept 1st now, closed the 15th of this month.

Facebook Comments