Author Topic: sled ride , the montana way  (Read 365 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
sled ride , the montana way
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:33:02 AM »
31 miles on the sled 14 sets -15* very little wind , and bright and sunny.
We saw a LOT of coyotes but we just could not get them to come in.

Did have one get about 500 yards and sit and laydown  bark and howl back.

We worked it for about 40 minutes, no closer. I was packing the 6 and finally planed a shot.

I'm about ready to shoot and the boy tried a rabbit sound AS soon as the sound hit the dog it JUMPED up and spun around and ran off. DANG I tried a 500 yard running shot but to no avail.

We see that a lot Bunny cries = hunters. There just a warning call to public land coyotes.

BUT after 14 sets we try every tool in our kit, time and time again we get the same reaction.

I think it's time to put that one away .OuchConfused

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: sled ride , the montana way
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 04:08:34 AM »
Yeah, sounds like those dogs are wise, D. It sure looks cold! What was the temp?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »
-15* that day it was -29* this morning
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 03:31:53 AM »
-15* that day it was -29* this morning
  :shock:  :shock: Wow! When you talked did you have to take your words home and thaw them out to hear what was said?

Those coyotes must be pretty hungry during that weather?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »
I know every one says "well they have to eat" But truth be told there very hard to call in and reluctant to cross a 1/2 mile of 3 foot deep soft snow on spec.
Food sounds rarely  work, gota get them Pi$$ or horny to make them move.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 03:30:53 AM »
I know every one says "well they have to eat" But truth be told there very hard to call in and reluctant to cross a 1/2 mile of 3 foot deep soft snow on spec.
Food sounds rarely  work, gotta get them Pi$$ or horny to make them move.

O0 I understand now, D. I assume you are not done with the dogs yet. Your coyotes must have some nice hides considering your winters, yes?

Online D45/70

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »
They did but there looking kinda ratty now.
When it gets very cold , at night when then sleep there long guard hair freezes to the ground and gets broken off when they get up. That is the $$$ hair. We have the bench mark coyote fur, highest $$$ of them all. Montana Pail and Alberta light are , pardon the pun, Top Dog of hair.
Some at auction , finished got $200 plus.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 04:50:55 AM »
They did but there looking kinda ratty now.
When it gets very cold , at night when then sleep there long guard hair freezes to the ground and gets broken off when they get up. That is the $$$ hair. We have the bench mark coyote fur, highest $$$ of them all. Montana Pail and Alberta light are , pardon the pun, Top Dog of hair.
Some at auction , finished got $200 plus.

:shock:  O0 Wow!

Facebook Comments