August 12, 2020, 05:46:17 PM

Author Topic: Another waterbug recap  (Read 12536 times)

Online D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Another waterbug recap
« on: November 11, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
It's been in the shop for a full redesign.
Still the CAT aspect.
Moved stuff around, motor back 8" and tipped it up in back 2", gas tank back 2 feet.
Added foam in the last 1/4 and covered it with Aluminum.
Two bilge pumps two new bungs.
I made the cage fold forward to let me get under the boat port roof.
Redid the rudders to come out to let the cage fold. Made cable guides that move the rudders. Covered the center for storage.
Changed the reduction to 1 x 1.6 should be able to turn the prom up to speed better.
I have to tweak the trailer some too but I may get this thing back on the ice soon.
Can't wait to see if I did any good, it'll be too late for a water test I think.

DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Another waterbug recap
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:03:21 AM »
 :shock:  O0 Wow! That's some overhaul, D! I bet it is more like a rocket sled on the ice!

I bet it performs better on water, too. You sure have put a lot of work into your project. You reckon you can give it a try soon?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:25:24 PM »
Water test
To bad the wind was 50 mph and cool we would have made some
adjustments on the river bank.
The movement of the motor and other weight back helped a bunch.
I still can move the motor but a lot of effort.
I was going to move it a foot then chickened out and went with 6".
Could have gone 8".
I'm going to lift the prop end another inch I went with 2 the first time.
We had troubles with the 64" prop hitting water as it splashes in the back, It eroded the prop some in a 15 minute test. I could get 3900 rpm with the new gears that puts me around 2500 rpm on the prop.
We put the 3 blade 59" prop on with the steepest pitch blocks I can get. 4600 motor rpm that's 2900 rpm on the prop.
Max for the prop is 3100 And I don't want to run that many rpm if I don't have to. I'll try a different sprocket I have. I can back off to 1.3 instead of 1.6 ratio. If I can get 3700 on the motor that's 2850 on the prop. About the same and 800 rpm less on the motor.
Here is the test vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0729cm8_A&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rFGNgWk2Fs&feature=youtu.be
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 05:10:01 AM »
All that figuring seems to me like a rocket scientist figured all that! That's above my paygrade, D!

Your test runs look great. It gets up on plane quick? I would certainly think so, with all that power.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Online D45/70

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »
>:(
I have a support in the very back that drags like a drift sock, just about the time it wants to come up on plane.
Gota address that too.
The seat was to close to turn the handlebars, we took it off and could turn much better.
I'm now thinking about an actual steering wheel.
I'm going to add some more width to the rudders, too.
The new tractor mufflers helped tremendous. The 1600cc bug motor runs better with a little backpressure.
Next is maybe a little blower on the crab?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 03:06:57 AM »
Blower on the crab? You lost me there, D.

Online D45/70

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »
Supper charger , more air more hp

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 02:51:21 AM »
Oh, OK!  O0

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 05:26:29 AM »
Have you had time to work on the water bug? I have always watched water bugs and it makes sense what you call your boat. We old Indians notice stuff like that, we get a lot of enjoyment.

I realize how hard it must be to work on something during your hard Montana winters, D. And I always come here first in the mornings checking to see your posts.

I am Sioux and wife is Cherokee.

Online D45/70

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 09:08:47 AM »
 :'(Yes it has been a hard sell for me to get out and work on her. -40 to -65 below wind chills the last week and a half. Today after some wife projects I plan to work some more on the new steering arrangement and remounting the "Dash" switch panel. I'll send pics when I get something done.

Ps I'm 1/4 Chippewa Cree

Facebook Comments