August 12, 2020, 05:04:37 PM

Author Topic: The mighty 8 first shoot, for me anyway  (Read 3419 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
The mighty 8 first shoot, for me anyway
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
I took the mighty 8 out with some of the factory shells that came with the gun, some 185, cor-locks, and some 220 cor-locks.
Unknown speed. The rifle has iron sights.
put a box and printer paper target at 100 yards.
I remember when I could see the back sight, the front sight and the target all at once.
Anyway, I managed to put two of each within an inch of center, 2" spread" shooting sitting on my coyote belt seat and on my sticks.
I was tickled and my son did as well.
I was p repaired for all hell to hit my shoulder.
Nowhere as bad as I expected.
Yes, there is big recoil it's a big gun but even without a limb saver or muzzle brake it is very manageable.
I'll have to use the "Sled" for shell development but I think only a limbsaver after that for hunting.
Very similar to my 870 3 1/2" mag coyote shells in recoil, I think...
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: The mighty 8 first shoot, for me anyway
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »
 O0 Not bad at all, D!. I think meat is as good as in the freezer with that rifle. And you still have time to play with loads someday. What critters are first on your hit list with the big 8?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 08:01:33 PM »
 :D
 If I get a damage hunt on elk, an elk.
Probably this year it will blow the heck out of a bunch of targets.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 01:45:15 PM »
Wow, 225 gr at 3000 fps sounds devastating !! Real "splat" potential there. LOL. Nice shooting as well. At my age and iron sights, not sure I could stay on paper. My eyes seem to get worse day by day.
 A few years back I installed a peep sight set up on my SKS. Never sighted it in. Need to get it done soon. Dang thing is useless if I don't know where the bullet is going. Wish ammo hadn't gotten do expensive. Thanks, Brobama.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 06:07:50 PM »
220 gr.

That's just a bit faster than a 7mm RUM.
:idiot2 O0 :-P :shock:

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:05:39 AM »
 :shock:  O0 Fast is right! That is really cranking along!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
Got the rifle been doing some shooting with is and starting work.
New stock a Remington take off , from eBay $44 bucks delivered , fits perfect including the bottom metal

Old stock save for another project.

I like the new stock a lot better.
I'm going to put a tube of lead shot in the empty space under the new limb saver like a dead mule. The plastic stock is right at a pound lighter than the wood. With all that said I just want to say:
I think all the people that complain and get rid of this caliber because of recoil are a bunch of pussies!
I shot 20 rounds today before I changed the stock laying down off bags without a mark on my solder or collar bone.
I know our projected reloads will pound a little harder than the factory but, they ARE 220 gr bullets I was shooting.
WOW did it need cleaning, we worked on it for 3 hours and it still needs work, the trigger went from a 9 pound pull to around 4 or 5.
I think with some more cleaning and air It maybe even less. I found an article on how to adjust a factory trigger we will try it.
Black goo and crud came out of the barrel and bolt. I think we got them all cleaned up now.
But even like that, I shot under an 1 1/2" at 100, 3" at 200, and like 5" at 300, with iron sights, no less. At 300 the round bead in the front sight completely covered the box and target we where shooting.
We shot 6 other rifles testing loads, the 338/378 did about 2" at 300 yards. I wanted to check the factory speeds but for whatever reason, We could not get the magnetospeed to work on the 8, the front sight would not let us get the bayonet to line up right I think.
Dang, I wanted to get a baseline, we will try again after I get a scope on it and take off the front and rear sights. I have a Burris 4.5 x-14 x -42mm Fullfield II Ballistic Plex Riflescope coming for it.

Coming together, after the final cleaning and fitting I'm going to bed it.
COOL GUN

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 03:27:33 AM »
 O0 Yeah on cool gun, D! Your replacement stock is nice and I bet you like that glass you are going to top it with.  I have that type of stock on one of my rifles and really like it, especially as for carry weight.

Your rifle is a good choice. I had a 700 BDL in .22/250 and wish I had kept it.

Facebook Comments