August 10, 2020, 05:02:22 PM

Author Topic: Last chance bear hunt.  (Read 995 times)

Offline D45/70

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Last chance bear hunt.
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »
​" God does not want me to get a bear"
Yesterday was the last day for spring bear in my areas closest to me.

Still 2 weeks on the other side of the divide.

The boy and I have been seeing bears off and o but not been able to get to them.

Yesterday we loaded both 4wheelers and left town as normal at 3:30 am. We went to the Little belts, closer to town. We knew with 90* forecast the woods would be full of people wanting to get out to the cooler mountains and be camping.

That's why we wanted to BE IN bear country before they got up and going with there toys. We drove past a very popular campground and as we thought it was Packed. Anyway, Many of the trails are only for 4wheelers under 50" wide, no side by side's.

We hit those. There is a "park up on "TOP" we wanted to get to and glass. Try one, we could get to about 7000 feet and the snow blocked the road.

We walked to a higher spot and glassed. JUST as we suspected, we see a bear at the far end about a mile, too far to walk, and on the OTHER side of what looked like the Grand Canyon. We fought our way back to the 4wheelers. Down to the main road and to try the "far" end trail.
The snow was right at the 7000-foot mark it seamed.
We get to the same point on that trail and no farther. No chance to walk in from there.
There is another trail in the middle but way more "Primitive" rocky and VERY steep. Heck lets go and try that one...
Back down and found the trail. It had a huge drift across the trail, just past the Cattle guard no new tracks In fact I'm sure we were the first since last fall. We drove over the drift but were sure as the temps. got higher we would be digging to get back out, and we were right.
A dozen trees we had to pull off and a few really spooky spots but we are just about to the park, and GOD said NO!
The Polaris I'm on just STOPPED running. Maybe a 35* incline and just enough room to keep the wheels on, and The boy is in front, with me dead on the trail down. DANG!
We checked everything we could get to, filters, gas levels, air, nothing. We could get it to start with the choke full on but would die if you hit the gas. NICE now what.
Several big snowdrifts that we had to plow through to get up was not a reassuring thought. We could see a spot about 50 yards up we hoped we could get turned around and if you REALLY puckered up your butt to hold on we hoped we could get the other wheeler past the dead one to pull the other down. Anyone got a tow rope???
NO, but we did by accident have a long locking cable the boy uses to lock up trailers and such to prevent theft when they were gone, it would work. Some "Tugging" We got it to the, I can't say much wider, but no snow and kinda flat spot we saw.
A lot of MAN HANDLING we got them turned around and the running one in the front. By now it was a two-hour project and all hope of a bear had gone by.
It was all downhill so pulling was easy, BUT it was all downhill!
With a few miles to go we hear people coming up, DANG that sucks 4, 4wheelers on a 1, 4wheeler trail. It had been another half-hour since we started down, and as we had a Mexican standoff, I thought what the heck I'll try to start it. It fired up as nothing happened.
We unhooked the cable and jammed our units up the side of the trail the best we could, The all hands on deck, and we got the other people by us and out of the way. Now we could hear the buzzing on toys all over the forest, Time to go home. The last mile was easy then the drift. The other people had dug a part of it out, but now it was all tore up and melting, but nothing a half-hour of shoveling would not fix. The main road was busy and crap, we just put our heads down and "ran" the last 15 miles to the truck.
NO bear for D this spring season.
We did see some elk in the morning I got some pics but with my phone, you have a hard time seeing that there mostly all bulls with horns starting.

We will be changing the fuel pump and filters this week...
 ​
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Last chance bear hunt.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:26:31 PM »
 :shock: :'( Darn the luck, D! That's a lot more than just giving it a try!  I was hoping you would be hauling a couple of bears home. Are you giving it a try on the other side of the Divide?

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
Dang D, if it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all  :'( Looks like if you didn't have a tag, you'd probably get eaten by a bear.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 03:38:49 AM »
Dang D, if it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all  :'( Looks like if you didn't have a tag, you'd probably get eaten by a bear.
Yeah on that, MO! Bears would be all over the place, just begging to be shot.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline D45/70

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »
No bear this spring.
From here on out it will be, fishing, calling coyotes, shooting gophers, and P dogs.
Most of which with the little GD getting her tuned for deer this fall. We have a fall bear season that starts Sept. 15th we will hit it again then.
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
 O0 Good luck with all that, D!

Facebook Comments