October 24, 2017, 07:35:10 AM

Author Topic: what do you take in the woods?  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
Re: what do you take in the woods?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 04:37:56 PM »
me and my gun cause its really easy to get around in the fields behind my house in the dark but not in the woods i always leave before its dark when im in the woods cause i carry nothin but my gun and extra ammo not even a knife.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 04:58:31 PM »
I take a knife, extra box of ammo, 2 cigarette lighters and 2 packs of cigs, and usually some drinking water and a compass if I am hunting a large new area. I travel light. For squirrel hunting I bought a great light weight item, a belt- on air adjustable filled sitting camoed cushion that is waterproof.  You just sit down anywhere you like, and your hiney stays dry and comfortable. You ever sit down in the timber and then suddenly feel your south end wet and cold,  :shock: :-[and your wet clothes sticking to your butt? YUK!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 09:25:47 AM »
Let's see........for different critters, I take different things.........

Squirrels: .17 HMR, cartriges, knife, Gerber multitool, flashlight, TP, and bandana.  Warm weather, I take a little bottle of mosquito repellant.  Since the stick incident, safety glasses.

Turkeys:  Shotgun, shells, turkey vest, 4-5 mouth diaphram calls, box call, glass call, push-button call, binoculars, extra gloves, rain jacket, knife, Gerber multitool, flashlight, TP, and bandana.

Deer:  Weapon(s) of choice and ammo for it, knife, Gerber multitool, flashlight, turkey call (diaphram), grunt call, bleat call, Tylenol, extra flashlight, extra AA batteries, TP, limb saw, 550 cord, first aid kit, canteen, thermos (if really cold), hand warmers, screw-in bow hangers, binoculars, peanut butter crackers, jerkey, energy bars, full body harness (if hunting from tree stand), inflatable seat, extra gloves, rain jacket, bandana, and extra assorted clothes, depending upon the weather.

Ducks, geese, doves, rabbits, etc. all dictate what I take also.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 11:11:12 AM »
I also carry a LED Garrity key chain light, very bright, very small, and lasts for hours, and my Leatherman multi tool, of which I also carry 24/7.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline DblArrow

• Double Arrow Bow Hunting
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 02:10:01 PM »
Depending on where I go and what I am hunting I have a day hunting pack that holds:

2 water bottles
heavy duty leather gloves(necessity for deep South Texas brush country)
compass and GPS(Hey...sometimes I can't get a damn signal on the thing! That's why I take a compass too!)
cell phone
toilet paper
2 pair disposable gloves
1 surgical knife with replaceable blades(makes field dressing very easy and quicker than a regular knife, CHEAP!!!)
extra blades
digital camera
small first aid kit
small flashlight
extra set of batteries(pack of 8 for camera and flashlight)
matches or lighter
100' nylon cord
packable rain suit(depends on how long and if rain is expected)
2 or three snack bars of some sort.
small folding saw
knife sharpener
binocular lens cleaning brush

All that and I'm good to go.  The kitchen sink I will leave back at camp! :D

Offline Squirrel Commander

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 01:41:11 PM »
I usually take out:
my 20 gauge
2 knives
nalgene
25-50 Rd's
camo
gloves
"GU"
peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches
potato chips
50 ft of para cord
flashlight
gps
            all in my backpack
One shot, make 'em drop like a rock.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 11:12:32 AM »
Dang, some of y'all going hunting, or camping? :roll: :wink: ;D ;D ;D

Offline DblArrow

• Double Arrow Bow Hunting
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
Dang, some of y'all going hunting, or camping? :roll: :wink: ;D ;D ;D

My wife will say the same thing.  And for me its not hard or rare for it to turn into both hunting and camping from a 1 day hunt to the entire weekend.

Going back to the cabin is for the woosies anyways! :)

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 10:46:52 AM »
Maybe a scotch egg or two for breakfast.........its generaly easier to carry one of them than a bowl of grits in your pocket.......course you could line your pockets  with newspaper. :shock: :sad:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline john

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 04:13:25 PM »
Maybe a scotch egg or two for breakfast.........its generaly easier to carry one of them than a bowl of grits in your pocket.......course you could line your pockets  with newspaper. :shock: :sad:
scotch and eggs for breakfast???? sounds like our deer camp.

Facebook Comments