October 18, 2017, 07:18:36 AM

Author Topic: Problems getting permission to hunt?  (Read 4946 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Problems getting permission to hunt?
« on: December 17, 2003, 02:52:53 AM »
Around the area here it is getting harder every year to find places to hunt.  Maybe because less and less of the landowners of today hunt? I live in a pretty much rural area, and  not too many years ago, 90% of folks would allow hunting by permission. Now, many of the areas are absolutely closed to all hunting. This is not attributed to property damage or trouble with hunters, Just," NO"! The 19,000+ acre government installation where I work allowed rifle hunting for 1 year. Then, 9/11 happened, and the entire area was closed to hunting for over a whole hunting season. Now, no rifles, even rimfire. BUT, blackpowder for deer season is fine. That's good, but still no for any other rifle hunting.  Absolutely no one hunts squirrel on the installation, so you can imagine the population of squirrels. The one year they did allow rimfire hunting for small game at the area. it was obvious the squirrels had never been shot at. You could fill your bag limit of 6 in an hour ore two, easily. Bigcal58, you would have thought you was in heaven!  No respite in the future, according to our CO, an Army Lt. Col. Anyhow, I am wondering if you folks are having a harder time getting in to hunt on private land?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 12:53:53 PM »
It's pretty much the same around here.  When I was a kid, you didn't have to worry about it - hardly anything was posted and as long as you took care of the property you were on - no problems.  Now the local spots are few and far between.   Much of our land has been bought by out of state retirees and they immediately post the area.   That trend started when I was a teenager.  My friend and I were on a river that we had fished all of our lives.  We made the mistake of coming out on the bank to avoid some deep water and the land owner saw us.   Her house was about 60yds from where we were and she opened the door and sent her dog after us.    The dog turned out to be more scared of us than we were of it, which ticked her off even more.   So much for a peaceful day fishing, huh?   :?
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 06:32:41 AM »
Hey John, what you should do is get you a .32 cal muzzleloader for those squirrels!  Just because no rimfires are allowed, doesn't mean that you can't still blast some of those fuzzy little rodents! :lol:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 02:32:19 PM »
Cal, I think the Col. means no hunting with any type of rifle, except for blackpowder deer hunting, unfortunately. You are right about the blackpowder rifle hunting for squirrels being fun, though! Beleive it or not, I used a borrowed .58 reproduction Springfield Zouve for squirrel hunting one year. I was using 500 gr. maxiballs, black powder, and Crisco for lube. Head shot 'em, and had no problem getting my limit. The big slug would blow the squirrels almost to the tree tops when shooting up into a tree. I used it for the whole season, and it was a riot. The rifle had great open sights, worked great, but the last couple of loadings were difficult to load. The maxi ball was a chore to get down the barrel. and the rifle cleaning afterwards was a job, too! Crisco wasn't a good lube, trust me!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
Hunting Club
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 08:52:47 PM »
Out here there's a hunting club with access to thousands of acres in both Kansas and Missouri that it's members can use freely. It costs $600 to get a membership so I haven't joined yet, but soon. Otherwise, out here it's who you know and who they know.
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline Varmint Al

• Varmint Al's Hunting Page
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 11:09:14 PM »
I have found that the best way to gain hunting access is to hunt coyotes. Most ranchers have had problems with coyotes killing their livestock and will be interested in your help. After you help the rancher with a few coyotes, then you can mention about helping to control the other varmints like ground squirrels or prairie dogs. Besides, hunting coyotes is a lot of fun in its own right.
Good Hunting... from Varmint Al

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 10:46:46 AM »
Varmint Al is right on the money. I have a brother living in Bakersfield, CA, and he does exactly that. He has a couple of ranches that he hunts on and keeps the varmint population in check. He sees cougers on occasions, but, no can shoot. The ranchers don't like the cats near their stock, but you know the CA sheeple laws. He has a great relationship with the ranchers, and also does free electrical work for them as a thankyou for the hunting rights. The ranches he hunts are also almost overrun with wild hogs, which ol' Charlie hunts, too. He has spent many days with his children on the varmint range, which,as we know, is priceless. :)

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 04:35:32 PM »
im pretty lucky in missouri i got my aunts 300 acers my uncles 400 acers near mark twain lake and a friend with 1,000 acers
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 06:35:07 PM »
Squirrelslayer, you are in squirrel heaven! I am sure glad you have all that great hunting area. Show no mercy, even if the hairy rascal nut chewin' little stinkers beg!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 08:13:16 PM »
Show no mercy, even if the hairy rascal nut chewin' little stinkers beg!

LOL :twisted: Couldn't have said it better myself!

In the past, I've cut tobacco and housed it, housed hay, mended fences, set posts, etc. to gain hunting priveleges.  You've got to consider, there isn't a whole lot of money in farming anymore.  Anything that these people can do to help make money is worth gold to them!  They don't even really have to "make" money.  If they "save" money on one aspect, they they are "making" money.

One of the best pieces of ground that I had to hunt, me and two other guys cut and housed the landowner's tobacco in exchange for the hunting rights.  For 3 guys in college, it almost killed us (well, the other two "city" guys more than me), but a little bit of beer and Bengay, we weren't feeling any pain!  The landowners told me that they made more off their tobacco that year than they had EVER made!

Now, with the guy that I hunt on, he and my mother are engaged (they're never going to get married.....don't ask).  I help out at his place as much I can throughout the year.  Any heavy or prolonged work, I do.  He helps my mother out when I'm not there, and I do what I can on the weekends.  It benefits everyone.

Just remember, you don't always have to have a lot of money to get a prime piece of land to hunt.  Sometimes it just take a little sweat and labor!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments