December 16, 2017, 05:44:20 PM

Author Topic: Spooked?  (Read 789 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Spooked?
« on: December 17, 2003, 12:43:34 PM »
We've all spooked deer before, but has anything ever spooked YOU out in the woods?  :shock:

I have a friend that was walking in to his treestand before daylight last bow season, carrying nothing but his bow and a cigarette. (no flashlight).  As he neared the area where his stand was, he stopped and strained his eyes to locate the stand and took a puff on his cigarette.  As he stood there, he noticed a big stump in the spot where he thought his stand should be.  He didn't remember seeing a stump that big in the area, so he kept straining to make out the shapes.  He took another puff on the cigarette and suddenly the stump lets out this deep grunt and tears out running - sounding like it's tearing down everything in it's path.  There he is... standing in the dark..... no flashlight.....only a bow and a cigarette ...... and a big daddy hog tearing up the woods.  :shock:  :shock:   He almost wet his pants.... hehe :twisted:   He described it as a rather butt puckering experience.  Needless to say, he was wide awake for the rest of the morning....hehehe
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Spooked?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 02:13:11 PM »
:shock: Years ago one of my brothers and I went early AM .22 squirrel hunting. It was still dark when we split up and I walked directly into a draw in front of me. The weeds were chest high at the edge of the wooded draw. I walked in a few yards and was standing and waiting for it to get light enough to see or shoot. Just a few yards in front of me I heard a real low, coarse growl, and froze. What ever it was, it was bigger than a dog and the growl was much more coarse and longer. I slowly lowered the rifle in the direction and waited for the sun to come up. I was sweating bullets. I heard the animal move just a little a couple of times,  just a little to my left each time. I kept the rifle trained on about where the animal was. Finally, the sun came up enough to where I could see, but there was nothing but me there in the draw. What ever it was, it had moved out and away. I found my brother and we returned to the spot to check for sign, but found only where a large animal had bedded down in the weeds where I heard the noise. South of there, about 30 miles, a similar incident happened to a buddy of mine when he was walking out of a timber after the sun was down. All he could see was a very large animal shadowing him back to his truck. He could tell by the dark shape it wasn't a hoofed animal, but a predator type, and it kept about 20 to 40 yards from him on a parellel course to him through the trees and several times almost cut him off from his truck. Jon was armed with a shotgun and didn't want to shoot for fear of just wounding what ever it was. And he was scared! Jon has been reluncant to return to the same hunting place, and it was one of our favorites.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments