November 24, 2017, 07:11:40 PM

Author Topic: Who Uses Small Game Dogs?  (Read 6722 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Who Uses Small Game Dogs?
« on: December 20, 2003, 11:44:41 AM »
About 3 months ago I got my first squirrel dog. She is now about 4 1/2 months old, 1/2 Bassett and 1/2 small red bloodhound. She looks like a Bassett and is fast for a short legged dog. And she is already working good with some squirrel hides. Squirrel dogs in this area is pretty much unknown. The first squirrel dog I had ever seen was almost 50 years ago. The dog followed us to the timber from a the farmhouse where we got permission to hunt. We thought that was the end of our chances of gettting some squirrels. Wrong! That little dog was a miracle on 4 legs. He treed and treed squirrels and we had a great day. A fellow a few miles north of here raises them, but I do not do business with him. Not for his honesty or his dogs, just a personal difference. My dog seems to use her eyes first, then her nose if she can't quickly find the hide. This seems to be an asset for hunting squirrels, I should think. I have been trailing the hide and then hiding it for training. She is quick to find it, checking every previous place I have hidden the hide in the past, then putting her nose to the ground to locate the "squirrel". I am wondering if any of you fellow hunters can offer some training advice here, seeing as how I am new to owning and training a squirrel dog.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 07:59:12 PM »
I had heard that the little feist dogs were about the best for squirrels.  I've never trained or owned a squirrel dog.  I've wanted to, but don't have the time or place to mess with one.  Living in the city puts a damper on things like that.  We've got a chow and a pomeranian now.  About all they're good for is barking at the mail man and the neighborhood kids!  Gotta' admit though, that black chow seems to command a lot of respect!  Even though she's a big cream puff!

Wish I could help you, but I can't.  The only thing I know to tell you is do a search on the internet for squirrel dogs/trailing dogs.  You may be able to come up with some information there.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 02:53:53 AM »
Thanks, Bigcal58! i will give it a try.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Haven Rats

• http://www.happyhavenfarms.com
Small Game Dogs
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 12:29:22 AM »
:D
You, being from Iowa, haven't heard of one of the greatest small game dogs in Iowa, and Missouri and to all that own a great running squirrel dog. You might try to look up some Feists, as mentioned earlier, as well as Rat Terriers. We currently raise them, and have a guy who has so kindly offered to maybe undertake hunting with a couple to let their instincts work for them.

Bobbie
~Hunt HARD, not FAST~
~Keep your nose to the ground,
and run 'em down~

april

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 03:29:59 PM »
I bet that part blood hound in her will make for a good squirrel dog.... sorry, but I haven't used a dog for squirrel, so besides doin a search, I don't know what to tell ya. But, if'n ya want to know about beaglin....I'm your gal...lol.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 08:52:13 PM »
Thanks, folks! Yep, she has a real nose! One of my sons has a rat terrier, a female. He is going to give me a pup when he has her bred. He says his terrier is a treeing you-know-what! Can't you just see that bassett/red hound and the little terrier hot on a squirrel? It will probably look like a clown show, but who cares, if they work good! Off season, they can work for the circus! :lol:

Offline squirrel eliminating kid

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 04:16:31 PM »
I am fixin to get a squirrel dog even though I kill plenty of squirrels without one
I like to shoot stuff

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 02:33:09 PM »
SEK, I bet you do! A good dog just makes it easier and more fun! My dog looks like one of those clown dogs, longer than she is tall, but she even retreives! Her ears drag the ground and she has a real hound voice, which is pure music. Good natured, good company,but talks back. I don't always know what she is trying to say, but she is a real vocal pup. Right now, she is arguing with my wife. Two females arguing, no win situation! One hunt with a good squirrel dog, and you are hooked, even if the hairy little rascal argues with you!

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 03:33:23 PM »
John sounds like fun.... I plan on building a house, and getting a pup soon, (landlord won't let me have pets.)  No idea what kind yet...

let us know how the Bushy-tail-tracker is doing.
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 10:00:11 AM »
Thanks,Firekidd. It looks like you are going in the right direction. I will let you know how the little rascal works out. So far, so good, anyhow. She seems to have all it takes, and is smart, too. You are considering a smaller dog, perhaps? Small breeds work well, and I prefer a female dog for hunting. One suggestion I have, keep her from running rabbits. Most dogs are either a squirrel dog OR a rabbit dog, unless they are exceptional enough to stay with verbal orders as what you are intending on hunting. Not likely with 99.99% of dogs, so stay with one quarry.

Facebook Comments