November 23, 2017, 07:20:28 PM

Author Topic: Who Uses Small Game Dogs?  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Who Uses Small Game Dogs?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2004, 09:32:03 AM »
You guys are lucky to have dogs that you can do that with.  With our two, the last time I pitched them some scraps from a squirrel, they looked at it and then at me like, "What am I supposed to do with this?" 8)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 07:36:40 AM »
Heh heh heh, BC, your wife didn't force you to get poodles, did she? Sometimes wives do that. My wife just got another pup, a male Bassett, 6 weeks old. I dunno how he's gonna work out, but I told my wife, for what she paid for the pup, he's gonna have to work for his feed, some day!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 08:47:09 AM »
A basset huh? You may have the makin's of a fine bunny hound there John. A buddy of mine used to hunt one. He had a hard time keeping up with the beagles when they were running good, but when the trail got cold or the rabbit tried to pull a fast one, he was hard to shake. He could also bring one back all by himself, if you didn't mind waiting just a little longer. This fellow definately earned his feed.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2004, 12:32:29 AM »
Close on one.  We've got a Pomeranian and a Chow.  They're both really good dogs, but they're definitly "city" dogs.  Bassets are supposed to be really good hunting dogs.  Start training it with some beagles to see if it will run.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2004, 10:33:33 AM »
BC, we bought a 6 weeks old male full blood Bassett last weekend. Hopefully, he will be another squirrel dog. It's my wife's birthday present. Next year, I ought to get her a new rifle or fishing pole? Yeah, I know, I spoil her!  It's not my fault she does not hunt, or care to fish, ya know what I mean?  :wink:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2004, 08:04:42 PM »
I think a nice rifle would make a heck of a present for your wife! :wink:   I'd try it on mine, but I'd probably get shot with the gun if I did!!! :shock:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline MountainMan

Squirrel Dogs
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 11:49:36 PM »
Hello good people just wanted to say you should check into the curs as well for for squirrel dogs. They have been bred for years and years to tree squirrels and come in all shapes and sizes. I have a few that are actually about the size of fiest but a heart as big as Texas. They also make great house pets as a double. Good luck with your choice, fiest or cur or poodle or whatever you decide to use.

Hunt What you like, Like what you hunt.  :)

Offline gottahunt

• Applied for my club membership...
dogs
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2004, 01:04:34 AM »
ya i wasnt really thinkin about hunting with my new pup but i figured i might get some fun out of all the stuff hes put me through the past few weeks... hes a lil beagle what do ya ya think squirrels :shock:  or rabbits :shock:  :?:
THE SECOND AMENDMENT
IS THE ORIGNAL
HOMELAND SECURITY

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 03:39:10 PM »
:idea: What about cats. They are plentiful, run well, tree well and fight from time to time. Best of all- the season never closes :D
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline hjames000

Small Game dogs
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2004, 01:35:02 PM »
A falconer in Texas named Brewer has written a book about hunting squirrels with Jack Russel terriers.

I have used minature wire haired dachshunds with real good results

Facebook Comments