November 20, 2017, 10:37:12 AM

Author Topic: Who Uses Small Game Dogs?  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Maple treerat

Who Uses Small Game Dogs?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2004, 05:53:50 PM »
Any favorite links to some Feist or cur dog sights.    
If someone has some info on the german Jagd Terrier i would REALLY like one of those dogs.

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
Who Uses Small Game Dogs?
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2004, 03:57:30 AM »
Good question.  I have done a LOT of it.  I am excluding bird hunting of course.

First experience was in Virginia.  My Uncle had a farm outside of Roanoke near Burnt Chimney.  Great dove shooting there, but I digress - he had this Airdale/mutt.  We'd go out to his timber.  find a squirrel and that dog would get this squirrel to baring at him from up in the tree.  We'd slowly work our way up. uncle would say "Bring'm to me" and that dog would run to the other side of that tree and yap like there was no tomorrow.  Squirrel would scoot around to get his body away from the dog but peek his head around to keep an eye on him. Meaning that rat was fully exposed to us. HMMM - another rat for the crock pot.

I have hunted rabbits with a pack (5) of beagles a couple of times.  THAT is an absolute HOOT!!!  If you get a chance - DO IT!  You will not regret it.  There's nothing like it.  I ain't got room for a pack or I 'd have some.

My current dog has been bred for centuries to hunt fur and feather, land or water (Small Munsterlander).  Great on pheasant and other upland birds, and fantastic on rabbits.  If it is running, and especially if it is bleeding, he WILL find it.  No matter what it is.  He's OK on squirrels as far as retrieving goes, he knows they're around there somewhere and usually sees them when they fall after I shoot them.  Howevwer, even though he will look in the air after flying birds, a squirrel going to tree confuses the s*it out of him.

It's been my experience that Fiest Hounds - Squirrel Dogs - while they will use thier nose to find them, are primarily SIGHT hounds.  They look for the squirrels, chase it and tree it, then use the nose to find it if it gets into cover after you shoot it.  Beagles are both.  they use the nose to find a trail then when game (rabbits usually) runs they try to sight it more than scent it when on the chase.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Facebook Comments