December 14, 2017, 08:20:05 AM

Author Topic: Who Uses Small Game Dogs?  (Read 6745 times)

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Who Uses Small Game Dogs?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 02:03:44 PM »
okay, I'll keep the dog on  one game... guess that means that I'll have to get two dogs....  I'm thinking of a jack russel terrier, they're smart and I've heard that they make good squirrel dogs...  my girlfriend wants a daschund... they are good dogs, but I don't know if it would be much of a squirrel dog, weren't they bred for hunting badgers or something like that???

Oh well, she'd probably leave me if I took her dog hunting  and brought it back all muddy, cut up and full of briars...
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 07:15:29 PM »
Firekidd, yep, she probably would! She would want to put ribbons on the dog,  paint its nails, etc. Squirrels would laugh you out of the timber. My wife did that to MY dog! Evil sense of humor! :twisted:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :!:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 07:24:09 PM »
ouch!! that's bad.. sabotage from within!!!!

no, my girlfriend wouldn't paint it's toenails... bows maybe... but those can be "lost" very easily...

what are some good squirrel dogs???  I know of terriers, feists, and small mutts (depending)  any other ideas???

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 11:49:09 PM »
Firekidd, just about all the small dogs(big ones work good, too). Just easier to work a small dog. My pup, a mix Bassett/small red bloodhound, is probably 40 pounds now, and about 6 mo. old. She has short legs, but pretty fast! Plenty fast enough for a squirrel dog, and she has the heart for it, too. She is going to be READY opening day! :!:  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 11:15:36 PM »
Well good luck...

I'll probably just wait until a dog finds me.... I don't know why, but whenever I can have a dog, one seems to show up on my doorstep, or a friend finds one that needs a home... ect.

Got pics???

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 12:43:02 PM »
Firekidd, that's a good outlook on dogs. That's how we got our dog, from a no kill animal shelter info. Some folks had a bunch of dogs and pups that the county officials were going to impound. It was a two hour drive there, but well worth it. When we walked toward the doghouse and pups, one of them made a bee line right to us while the rest of the pups milled around their mother. Yep. we knew which one we wanted. Kinda like you are saying, the dog chose us. :D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 06:02:44 PM »
How are your dogs doing (John and Firekidd)?  Your dog hasn't become too much of a lap-dog has she John?  The last time we saw your dog Firekidd, she was smiling for the camera and looking like she was getting spoiled!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 10:23:03 PM »
Well the pup is very spoiled....  she has a blast out in the woods, but she hasn't really picked up on the trailing by scent...  
she will chase anything that she can see, but once she has to use her nose, she gets lost......

but she is a great companion, and good company for walks!!!

Got pics???

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2004, 10:38:26 AM »
BC, pup has not been in the woods for hunting yet, season not open until Sept. 1. She works good here at home, but wants to run coon, realy bad. We live on top the river bluff, so we have lots of coon and everything else, including coyotes and deer, in the yard. I don't even leave her in the yard at night unless I am close at hand. 'Yotes here have an appetite for dogs. Wife tries to spoil her, as you figured correctly. Dog has her fooled, dog's first interest is HUNTIN'! Whenever I leave the house with a gun, or come home with my guncase, pup goes crazy! She wants outside, expecting some headless squirrels  to be laying on the deck. I always fed her a few scraps of fresh squirrel when I dressed them last season, so this gets her razzed up, too. She has manners, and only takes what I toss her to eat. It's an Indian thing, folks, the dog sharing the kill. :)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2004, 08:38:53 PM »
It's not just an Indian thing John. I do the same thing with my beagles. After every hunt when I put them in the pen, they stand at the ready looking back at the house and whimpering in anticipation. They know it's only a matter of time before I give them their "reward." This makes them run even harder the next time out. It's almost like they want that rabbit so bad they can "taste" it. The only drawback is, when you shoot one in front of them, you better get to it before they do.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments