October 22, 2017, 12:45:52 AM

Author Topic: what deer do you hunt for?trophy?food?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
what deer do you hunt for?trophy?food?
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:45:57 AM »
just curious as to what most hunt for,all the talk of quality deer managment. big racks. leaves me a little confused.i hunt mostly for the experiance,and secondly for the wonderful food source.
i'll admit i would get a kick out of a huge rack, but i usually take younger deer myself. they seem more tender and generaly better on the table.i also take a doe for the same reason.
i will also admit to passing on some rather large deer.they just looked tuff to chew.
am i the minority? not really too interested in big deer?
wonder if trophy hunters are like that with women?only want the big ones?
ok,,,just dawned on me they probably like big racks there too....duh.

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: what deer do you hunt for?trophy?food?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 04:42:11 PM »
early part of the year i look for horns, but as time goes by i become a meat hunter,i still let the young bucks go by,but i start huntiing the does hard.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline henry

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 05:00:58 PM »

I hunt does mainly because the meat  is more tender. Bucks are fine but the larger the horns the stronger the meat is.  I prefer young bucks and more preferably the does. Their meat is more tender and besides that trophies are fine but it doesn't feed your family.

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 07:29:18 PM »
FOOD!  But, of course, wouldn't pass up a trophy if I had a shot at one.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 07:32:22 PM »
I'm a little bit of all of the above.  For me to shoot a buck, it's "usually" got to be a dandy or something unusual!  I really love deer meat, and it really helps to lower the grocery bills, so I take whatever I can at times.  Sounds like I'm contradicting myself, doesn't it?

For bucks, it's got to be a good one for me to pull the trigger (usually).  I let the little ones walk to grow up a little (usually).  I normally take as many does as possible to add meat to the table.

With all of that being said, last year (2003 season), I only got 1 small doe.  That hurt!!!  I needed meat!  This year during our early MZ season, I passed on a spike and a button.  Opening day of our gun season, I had a 4 pt pop up over the ridge just a few yards from me.  I thought about it and decided that I wanted the meat before I wanted a rack.  Popped him with the .44 Mag pistol.  The next morning, I got a big doe.  Got some meat in the freezer!!!! :)  I don't normally like to shoot small bucks, but since I really wanted some meat, and I got to shoot him with the .44 Mag, I couldn't resist!!! :twisted:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 11:04:45 PM »
I hunt for food,ALWAYS.But a hide and horns are a bonus.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 01:06:41 AM »
Food always. I've only taken one so far. A button buck, mostly corn fed.Talk about tender,could almost eat it through a straw.Tasted like strong beef.
 My night mare is I'll take a monster buck and then won't be able to afford to have it mounted.Guess I could still use the antlers for rattlin. I'll use every part I know how.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline john

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 08:45:34 AM »
just do a europian mount,you can boil the skull or just hang it in a tree and let nature clean it off
Food always. I've only taken one so far. A button buck, mostly corn fed.Talk about tender,could almost eat it through a straw.Tasted like strong beef.
 My night mare is I'll take a monster buck and then won't be able to afford to have it mounted.Guess I could still use the antlers for rattlin. I'll use every part I know how.

april

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 04:58:50 PM »
First few deer are "eaters". Can be doe ,can be spike, can be whatever walks out (exluding "babies"). We eat game meat....no game meat, no meat period.

After the freezer is full, I hunt for horns. But, before then, I don't even think about them. As far as trophy though......lol...it's been about 10 years or so since I had one deemed "trophy", but that's alright.  :wink:

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 06:37:35 PM »
ok i hunt for what ever is movin such as does if one walks by bam gets the 12ga hurtin put down on it if bambie walks by even if i think its a bambie bam its done. if a buck walks by most definatly that will get the hurtin too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments