December 15, 2017, 04:21:35 PM

Author Topic: what deer do you hunt for?trophy?food?  (Read 3388 times)

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
Re: what deer do you hunt for?trophy?food?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 09:16:15 PM »
Why would you shoot a bambi deer??!!!??? A fawn is NOT A GAME ANIMAL in my opinion,and I think alot of people would agree on that.If you are going to shoot a deer,do it for food,and make sure its a mature deer,EVEN A SPIKE! Not a fawn! NO MEAT,NO REASON,AND IT IS TOO YOUNG TO KILL!!!!
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 09:58:38 PM »
A deer is a deer is a deer!  Fawn or not, if I want a deer, it gets busted!  I try not to shoot button bucks, but every now and then it happens.  A doe is a doe.  A 6 month old doe will breed the same as an older one.  About the only difference is that a 6 month old doe will only usually have 1 fawn and will fawn later than the others (they usually get bred in December as opposed to November.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 12:47:14 AM »
I meant a BAMBI DEER.One with white spots.Not a small deer.Sorry about the misprint.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 03:14:05 AM »
I doubt if any hunter here would shoot a fawn. I have seen those size deer in the back of pickups that we check at our check station. We jokingly refer to those as "dogs". At our installation the hunters have to kill a doe or button buck before they are allowed to take a buck. The reason being, for population control. If the rule wasn;t enforced, certain individuals might take a keeper buck and not go back out and kill a deer that we want culled.  hunting deer off installation, I have trophy hunted until it was later in the season and meat time.  One year I bow hunted a trophy buck and passed entirely on the rest of the deer population.  I didn't even loosen one arrow that season, passing on a couple of "Texas" shots at the big buck.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 03:49:27 AM »
A "Texas,or Texas brain shot" is a rotten thing,at least I think,to do to a deer.And as for fawns,I have lost many a friend to ripping them a new one for shooting one.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

travo

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 03:07:58 AM »
weve got so many friggin deer, i rip out the backstraps and leave the rest for the coyotes. ill shoot any deer that moves, but usually wont burn my tag up until the game warden has been spotted nearby, or it is the last day of season. I usually saw the horns off with a hacksaw so the coyotes dont get poked while dining on the remains. then i  sell the horns overseas as an afrodisiac.

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2005, 05:03:37 PM »
Travo, are you friggin kidding me? Because of slob hunters like you, is why hunters have such a bed rep. People think that hunters shoot anything and everything they see.
Why take only the backstraps and leave the rest? If you have "so many friggin deer", why shoot any deer that moves? Why not hold out on a big one? What is the point of hunting? You know what, you are not hunting, you are killing. Hunters use as much as possible of the animal. I take as much edible meat as possible from the animal and keep the skin, and antlers. Who cares about the coyotes? If it were up to me, I would kill every single one of them because I have seen what they can do to a deer herd.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 01:05:49 PM by Squirrelhunter91 »

Offline Doe

• Teen Taxidermist!
    • Country Way Enterprises
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2005, 08:31:21 PM »
I have LOTS of uses for any deer I kill.

First, of course, is the meat. We butcher the deer ourselves and make lots of burgers, sausage, jerky, and steaks.
Then, my next use would be for taxidermy purposes. I will be caping out the heads of my next deer for shoulder mounts (since I am new to taxidermy I'll need lots of practice!) and the rest of the hide I will tan for crafting or rugs, etc.
The antlers go along with the taxidermy.
And other than that, I like to boil the hooves and dewclaws off and clean them for decorations and crafting.
Next year I will be making Deer Tallow Soap. Yes, it can be done and it is just another way to use the extra parts of your deer. And just something for me to try. I read about it in a hunting book once.

Online D45/70

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 08:46:58 PM »
 :DFor the fun and excitement.I donate all the meat to the food bank!!! :mrgreen:
DO to the increasing cost of energy, Gas,and Electricity. The Down turn in the economy.
The light at the END of the TUNNEL is Now TURNED OFF!!!

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 01:17:22 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....................................I think Travo may have been trying to get a rise outta someone ;D I dont hunt too hard for deer at all. I dont care for the meat. Moose and elk, but if a huge buck should walk into my crosshairs..........................The meat  would be given to family and friends. :mrgreen:
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Facebook Comments