October 24, 2017, 07:30:43 AM

Author Topic: self-guided elk hunt question?  (Read 886 times)

Offline bowman

self-guided elk hunt question?
« on: December 22, 2003, 02:21:35 PM »
I've been bowhunting for a couple of years now, and I love it! So much that I want to kill at least one of every animal with my bow. I don't even care about rifle hunting anymore(but I still go some, of course). Anyway, I'm looking at going to Colorado on a self-guided elk hunt. I don't want to drive clear to CO(from Missouri) and come home empty-handed. I know that's just how hunting goes sometimes, but I think I might take my rifle and get to know the country some on the first trip atleast. Do yall think this is a good idea? Is a self-guided elk bowhunt pretty hard(to kill a bull) ? Which unit should I go to?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Thanks for the help                                             Bowman
   :?:

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 06:43:49 PM »
Bowman, a friend of mine goes out there each year and hunts.  He usually comes home with a pretty good one.  My advice to you though is to get a guide the first time you go out there.  The reason is, you really don't know what to expect.  Them hills are a lot bigger than we've got around here.  Also, it's more remote than around here.  Your best bet on having a good time and probably getting an elk are to use a guide the first time or two.  After that, you'll have a little more knowledge and know what you're in for.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 07:44:34 PM »
I agree with Big58Cal - definitely use a guide on your first trip.  From what I've been told, it's a different world out there and mistakes can hurt the ol' pocket book.
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Facebook Comments