December 11, 2017, 06:07:25 AM

Author Topic: skinny kentucky does  (Read 1826 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
skinny kentucky does
« on: December 27, 2003, 09:54:22 PM »
I got a question for some of you KY hunters. Me and a buddy just got back from a trip to western KY on the Tradewater river. We were invited up by a friend to thin out some does on his hunting lease. Apparently  all these guys do is trophy hunt.( I go where I am needed). We killed five does in short order. Two were yearlings and were in good shape. One was a large doe, who had a yearling with her. She had a lot of fat and a lot of milk. The other two does were mature, large frame deer,but were starved to death. They were alone, no fawns, no milk, but had good teeth. The hip bones were protruding like a worn out cow, and the spine ridge looked like a knife blade. We skinned one and the backstraps were sunk way down deep and were not the pretty pink color I am accustomed to. Needless to say, we were afraid to comsume these deer. We did them a favor as there was no way they would have survived the winter, and would have been coyote fodder either way. This condition puzzled us because we were in some big hardwood bottoms with plenty of mast, surrounded by a lot of cropland and CRP fields. Has anyone else seen this? The other boys on the lease had only shot large bucks, which they said were all in good shape.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 07:21:29 PM »
I'm not from kentucky, but live only a stones throw away. I havent seen it personally but have heard that deer in the area( tennesse as well) may have C.W.D. ( chronic wasting disease) . This is similiar to mad cow disease. You can have them checked by the local wildlife mgmt. Folks. I have no further info on this matter but hope this helps.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 09:20:33 PM »
I thought of that too C.N. and refered to the KY hunting regulations book. It stated that KY wildlife does not do testing of individual hunter kills for CWD, so I didn't persue it any further. It's a good thought though. I hope to come back to this area again next year and would hate to see CWD and the associated fear have any effect on this fine area's outstanding quality deer herd. My hope is that this is just some localized disease that will run it's course this winter.
(\__/)
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 09:34:11 PM »
I doubt that it was CWD.  Not saying it wasn't, but more than likely, it was the after-effects of EHD (epizootic hemmoragic disease), or "blue-tongue".  Kentucky got hit pretty hard this year by it.  In my county alone, they were expecting to loose about 1/3 of the herd.  The condition of the does you listed is typical of EHD.  I was finding deer dead up into mid/late November that looked like blue-tongue got them.

I wouldn't sweat the does.  Mother Nature has her ways of helping to control the population.  You just shortened the suffering of the animals.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 09:33:23 PM »
That could be it. I've never seen blue-toungue, but have heard that it really takes hold in high population densities. Although I didn't see an overwhelming number of deer, we were hunting the tail end of the gun season. I do know that the county beside where we were hunting sold unlimited doe tags, and in one area we drove through, I-24 through Fort Campbell, The roadside was littered with dear carci. One fellow who was helping us skin deer, suggested blue-tounge. I looked at their tounges and they "looked" normal.( Were the tounges supposed to be blue then, or not until they actually die of the disease.?) :?
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 11:08:19 PM »
Check out these links for more info:

http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2003/09/25/spt-5-outnotes0925-4135.html

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26647--,00.html

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/gray_book/FAD/blt.htm

http://www.uga.edu/scwds/topic_index/1993/ACLOSE~1.pdf

If you need more info, let me know.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 10:20:13 AM »
Are you guys sure Ellwood didn't just have them tied to the tree too long without feeding them?   :roll:

Offline Jen

• Gut Pile Club Member
    • Matahota Ranch, LLC
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 05:29:40 PM »
Quote from: gutpiles
Are you guys sure Ellwood didn't just have them tied to the tree too long without feeding them?   :roll:

GP, you are so funny! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I know whenever I see that you have posted, I will more than likely laugh my butt off! :D  :D

Jen :wink:

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 05:57:57 PM »
:idea: maybe that's what causes blue-tounge. I had the collar  too tight. You should have warned me GP
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
skinny kentucky does
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 12:58:14 AM »
ellwoodjake, :!:  :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol: THAT WAS GOOD!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments