Author Topic: scouting  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
scouting
« on: February 23, 2005, 04:35:17 PM »
for deer hunting and setting up a stand or a place to sit what do you look for in doing this. tracks, lots and lots of sign, or more obivious things like a food source or bedding area. cause wow it is really thick out behind my house and im havin a hard time findin anything
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
Re: scouting
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 07:21:43 PM »
Food,water,bedding,sign.It's ALL important for a good area. Food and water is probably THE most important for a good area. I hunt an area that has a creek running though it,hickory,oak,and blackberry bushes,and every season I see people with nice deer that hunt that area.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 07:33:06 PM »
During the summer months, go out there with a camera or set up a trail cam. If it is legal where you are, put out a salt or mineral lick. Deer hit licks during the warm months.... Or just go out there with a camera and see what you can find.. I do this all the time...

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »
I dont believe in those cameras.I like to HUNT for my prey,not watch its every move. But hey,go with what works right?
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »
Huntsman,

This picture that I took told me and my dad that he should hold out for this buck:

And guess what happened.

NUFF SAID... That 6pt turned into the 9 pt in the above picture. My dad also ended up shooting that spike in the first pic also.

Here is the spike:

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 08:26:56 PM »

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 10:52:12 PM »
Well,I stand corrected.......and feeling REAL stupid :-[. I guess they DO work.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 11:52:32 PM »
one thing  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 08:47:18 AM »
when i scout for deer ,usually begining while squirrel hunting in winter.i look forthe travel patterns of the deer.  since i'm not going to them,i need them to come to me.ilook for areas the channel the deer into a confined area. features such as water,steep hills,gulleys,that will make the deer need to find an easier path. hills with shelfs on them that allow the deer to travel below the peak of the hill where they feel safer. ridges with passes ,or low areas that the deer will choose so they don't have to expose themselves on the ridge. all places between their feeding areaand their bedding area. then with these places inmind,i look for spots where two or more of these things coincide. a hill with a shelf next to a lake,for example. a horse shoe shaped ridge next to a taller hill in front of a deep valley with a lower ridge on one side and an errosion washed gulley on the other, is my latest find. the deer have no choice but to use this curved ridge to move from bedding to feeding.  i next scout the sign that will tell me the type of deer using the area. young deer aren't as carefull of cover and such. older wise bucks,are going to be in thicker,safer cover. i'mlooking for a deer in the 18 to 30month range,or a doe.mostly because i'm convinced they are the best for eating. this ridge is fairly open,and they even bed on it sometimes so its exactly what i'm looking for. plus itsneer the trail in,soafairly easy drag tomy truck. if i wanted a trophy i would be looking in a different area.
well,,,,guess thats pappa johns scouting book,,,,lol

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 08:52:35 AM »
Well,I stand corrected.......and feeling REAL stupid :-[. I guess they DO work.
actually your still right. you have to find a deery place first,the cam can only tell you what kind of deer are there.i plan on getting one,not for scouting,just because it will be fun to take pictures of deer.that onethat took these pictures did a really good job.

Facebook Comments