October 19, 2017, 06:02:10 PM

Author Topic: How Many People Do You Know Like This?  (Read 816 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
How Many People Do You Know Like This?
« on: December 28, 2003, 10:31:56 PM »
I just got back from Ohio for Christmas with my wife's family.  Planned on squirrel hunting up there, but didn't get to.  I took my .17 and had the men up there drooling over it but that's another story. :D

Anyway, the muzzleloading season in OH opened up Saturday.  One of my wife's uncles and one one of his sons got out Friday to shoot their muzzleloaders to make sure the sights were still on.  One had a side-lock with open sights, the other, an in-line with a scope.  They started out shooting at 100 yds. :?:   Neither were hitting the paper plates they were using for targets, let alone the old picnic table they had laying on it's side holding the targets! :!:  :shock:   But before this, both loaded up their rifles, without snapping caps on them first to make sure the flash channel was clear.  You guessed it..............After about 5-6 caps each, the first shot finally went off!  The uncle kept switching bullet types it seemed like every other shot, and they both didn't clean the barrel on their guns until I suggested it..................after about the 10th shot each.

I let them shoot a little from 100 yds, and then suggested that they might want to got up to about 25-30 yds and shoot from there a time or two to see where they were hitting.  To make a long story short, I started giving them subtle "hints" they may want to try, and finally got them both hitting the paper plates from 50 yds.

Now let's look at this and see what might have helped them:
1) Snap a couple of caps on your gun before loading it the first time to make sure the flash channel is clear.
2) If you're unsure of your sights/scope, don't start shooting from 100 yds.  Start at about 25-30 yds.
3) If sighting in, don't switch bullet/powder combinations.  This stuff should have been done during the summer, not the day before the season opens.
4) Clean your barrel after each shot.  You want each shot to be the same.
5) Don't wait the day before the season opens to "check" you sights.

It was funny, later on that night, I was in the living room watching TV, when my wife came in and sat beside me for a while.  We were watching them "clean" their guns in the kitchen.  My wife asked me how long I was going to let them go on like that until I went in there and helped them!  She doesn't even really know anything about guns or muzzleloaders, but knew that they needed help!  I finally went in and started talking to them, giving the subtle "hints" again on stuff they may want to try.

Anyway, my question is, how many other people do you know like this?  They were like the elusive Sasquatch, you've heard about it, there's sometimes sign left from there, but I have never seen it before. :shock:   How many more people are out there like this?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
How Many People Do You Know Like This?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 04:12:32 AM »
Bigcal, too bad on the squirrel hunting! It sounds like the folks you were mentioning were almost beyond help. Yep, I know a local that does the same thing with shotgun slugs for deer. And he can't figure why he can't hit anything. He never has sighted his gun in, or grouped different brand slugs. He has NO IDEA where his gun is going to shoot. The guy shouldn't even be hunting, seeing as how at best, he will just probably cripple a deer rather than kill it, if he even gets lucky enough to get an accidental hit. Note I said LUCKY. Actually, he is too much of a tightwad to shoot enough slugs too sight in his gun, I have tried to clue him in, and it has been a waste of time. Another case of two guys messing with the unknown, my brother in law was curious about black powder and smokeless, so he mixed the two and loaded up a blackpowder pepperbox. He then handed it to his DAD to shoot. Well, it went BOOM, alright! The gun came apart, but by a freak of luck, my father in law just received minor injuries. His son should have received a quick injury to the top of his head! What you did for the other fellas was very commendable, by the way. And it sounds like you used very fine tact. They just needed someone like you to show them the right way to do things, and not insult them while doing it. Good work, Bigcal58! Those guys will have a much better hunt!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments