November 18, 2017, 10:42:35 AM

Author Topic: South Dakota Prairie Dogs  (Read 3471 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
South Dakota Prairie Dogs
« on: January 02, 2004, 02:54:54 AM »
:D Some of my fellow officers went to SD this last summer on a poodle shoot. One of the things that impressed them was not only all the good shooting, but the ease of getting permission to hunt. Everyone they asked was glad to let them hunt. The fellas used the usual collection of varmint rifles, until one of them decided to try his .17 rimfire. The guys eventually put away the other rifles for most of their hunting, taking turns with the little .17! They had a great time with the 200-300 yd. shots, killing every one they shot at. Most of the shots were in the 200 yd. range, but the .17 leveled the field out to 300 when they stretched out with it. I am seriously considering making the trip with them this next summer. Bigcal58, you think some of those varmints looked like this--- :shock: ?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 10:15:42 AM »
You guys are going to keep on with the .17's until I'm in trouble. I was informed about (3) guns ago that I had "enough" to kill whatever it was that I wanted to kill - and absolutely didn't need anymore. Hehe Now with all of this talk, you've got me wanting a .17!  I bet Mama can already feel a disturbance in the force.   :twisted:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 12:16:07 AM »
Gutpiles, we would not steer you wrong! You just HAVE to get a .17!  Or, go shoot one and make your decision. You go shoot one, you will be hooked, for sure.The price of the ammo is steadily coming down, and easy to get. I went out and got 4 squirrels and one bunny today. I just hadda do it, it being probably the last warm day of winter here. Your wife doesn't fully understand going ultimate. Tell her if you don't get a .17, you will fall far behind in the latest technology, and the squirrels will sit out of .22 range and laugh hysterically at you. But, ol' Gutpiles will have the LAST LAUGH, because your sparkling new .17 will LOOK like a .22 to them! Yep, I can hear 'em now, "Hey, guys! Look! It's ol' Gutpiles, about 100 yards away, :lol:  with a new .22! Lets just sit here and drive him crazy! On the count of 3, all of us sit on this limb here and bark at him! "  :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 06:30:40 AM »
Hey Gutpiles, here's what you do.  Just get the thing and don't tell her about it! 8)   It's worked for me before!  My wife would see one of my new ones and ask, "When did you get that one?"  I would reply, "Oh, I've had it for quite some time."  Isn't it amazing how fast a new gun ages???

I've got to tinker with mine some more.  The day that I sighted in the scope, I had a really mean cross-wind.  When I was in OH over Christmas, I shot it a little up there.  It was shooting about 2" to the right at 100 yds, which would make sense considering the original cross-wind that I had.  I got it within 1/2" but still need to shoot it some more.  I'll have to experiment a little on the longer ranges.  A friend of mine has a 400 yd range set up.  I guess I'll have to go visit him.

Don't know if I'll get to go squirrel hunting again this year, but a friend told me about a guy that is over-run with coyotes on his property.  He's begging for someone to come out and shoot them 8) .  Guess we'll just have to see what the little .17 will do to a coyote!  Probably make him look like this... :shock:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »
BC, I had a gunshop owner tell me today that the best place to shoot coyotes with the .17 is a lung shot. Some deer have been checked that have been shot with the .17, and the bullet blows up on the head, just giving them a headache. Double lung shot with the .17 turned what was left of their lungs into jelly, killing them quickly. I passed on a coyote shot last weekend because brush was too thick. I was watching him trying to catch some wild turkeys. Now, I wish I had taken the shot through the brush. Good hunting, Bigcal58, and I enjoyed the idea of the new gun aging fast! :lol: Also shoot the coyote in the  :arrow:  :!: ,it WILL look like :arrow:  :shock: ! Gutpiles, you ain't picked up that new rifle yet?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 07:19:29 PM »
Probably look like I did when I had a prostate exam! :shock:

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 12:05:28 AM »
Bigcal58, :lol: :lol:  :lol:  :!: I almost snorted my coffee all over the keys!  GAWD! :shock:

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 10:54:57 AM »
LOL!   :lol:  You guys have been in the woods waaay to long.    :lol:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 04:56:53 PM »
Not nearly enough! :(

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments