December 16, 2017, 11:38:12 AM

Author Topic: 'Tater Soup  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
'Tater Soup
« on: March 02, 2005, 11:17:38 PM »
Here's the basic recipe:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups chopped yellow onion ***
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne ***
1 bay leav
2 Tbs. chopped garlic ***
8 cups chicken broth
2 large baking potatoes (about 2 lbs.), peeled and diced ***
1/4 cup heavy cream

1) Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-hight heat.  Add the onions, celery, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and lightly golden, about five minutes.

2) Add the bay leaf and garlic and cook, stirring... for two minutes.  Add the broth and potatoes and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft.....about 30 minutes.

3) Romved the soup from the heat.  Discard the bay leaf.  With a hand-held immersion blender, or in a food processor or regular blender in batches, process until smooth.  Slowly add the cream and stir to blend.

4) To serve, ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.

*** For the onions and garlic, I add extra to add more taste (I really like onions and garlic).  For the potatoes, I usually add 1 1/2 - 2 x the amount of 'taters.  It makes the soup thicker and much more gooder!

*** The cayenne..................If you don't like hot stuff at all, don't add any of the cayenne.  If you like it, but other people that don't like hot stuff will be eating the soup also, don't add the cayenne to the whole pot.  Once you fix yourself a bowl, then add some cayenne to the bowl.

This recipe is about the best 'tater soup I've ever had!!!  It'll make your tongue slap your brains loose!!! :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

Re: 'Tater Soup
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 12:07:33 PM »
MMMM.......sounds good BC :mrgreen: Careful BC,you need to keep all the brains you have. :twisted: :roll: ;D ;D ;D Not that I dont.......... :D
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 01:05:19 PM »
I love tater soup,add a pastie and i could eat them everyday! :mrgreen:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 05:29:14 PM »
hey truc........are you by any chance from michigan?
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »
Why yes i am ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 08:07:11 PM »
Dang that makes me hungry and I'm lookin at hamberger helper for dinner.Somehow my heart just won't be in it. I'm gonna use that recipe this next week,A little cayanne and I bet even boo will eat it.Gotta have the extra onion n' garlic.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 04:28:15 AM »
Yep, that  'tater soup sounds great! We had a LOT of homemade 'tater soup when I was a kid, enough to float an armada.  Yep, but it was GOOD!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments