October 23, 2017, 03:05:13 PM

Author Topic: Ghillie Suits For Hunting?  (Read 8316 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Ghillie Suits For Hunting?
« on: January 04, 2004, 12:29:14 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you folks use or have used one of these for civilian use? I am considering of making one, using some old cammies and burlap. The suits make you about as invisable as can be, my 2 cents worth. Or, how about a poncho ghillie? This would allow you to wear normal hunting clothes and whatever underneath.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 05:03:35 PM »
Haven't used them, but they seem like they would be heavy.  I could see using it for predator hunting, but deer hunting I don't really see a need.  I've had deer walk past me within spitting distance and they never knew anything was even around them.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 05:57:54 PM »
They get that close to you guys, they would be walking dead, just haven't hit the ground yet! With strips of burlap, might not be too bad(until wet)!  "Look! I just saw that bush walk"! :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 08:10:14 PM »
Well, I just bought several yards of camo burlap, and the suit is gonna happen! It is going to be hard waiting until next squirrel season to try it out. Lord, 6 MONTHS! Unless some coyotes get real unlucky.

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 05:26:27 PM »
hey john if that guillie suit works can u post your plans or direction on how to make one on this web site b/c i have always wanted to try and make one but i didnt know how to go about doin so, and i dont want to buy one for what their askin for them here($300).......and i think it would be nice to make it yourself so u could cusomise it to your favorite spot...... this may sound stupid but i would love one for squirrel hunting
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 05:41:30 PM »
check out this site it gave http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=how+to+make+a+sniper+suit+out+of+burlap&ac=none&xx=0&qid=0F55AACB3D08974EA2D9A89010AED040&p=0&s=17&sp=ix&fn=t&b=0&fo=2&r=10&io=3&fp=6&fr=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eghilliesuits%2Ecom%2Fhowtobuild%2Ehtm&adurl=me a couple of ideas on how to make one

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 05:49:27 PM »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 12:16:10 PM »
Squirrel slayer,thanks! I think I am going to pick up some camo BDUs and glue the strips to them. Or, make a poncho type, which will be much more universal. The info web you posted has some good stuff, but I am like you, I don't intend on spending hundreds of dollars for one. The shoe goo is a good idea. I was considering hot glue until reading the info. A poncho would change your whole shape more than a suit. You could wear a rain poncho underneath it,if necessary.With an attatched hood,you would be invisible! Actually, hiding from your game is much easier if you just change your outline, so this is why I will probably go the poncho route. easier it remove,too. I bought some camo burlap,12'X54", $9 clearence sale at wallyworld. I am going back there to pick up some tubes of ShoeGoo, and sneak into the frilly dept.(WITH MY WIFE!) to check out shaggy flower stuff. You will have to take your girlfriend along, for camo. She might think you are crazy,squirrelslayer,but then,all weomen think we men are nuts,anyhow! But, we know it is the reverse of things! I will keep you posted, and watch our for strange people in the frilly depts. :wink:

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 05:18:45 PM »
yea im goin to make some pants and then im making my own netting to make a smaller poncho making the netting in very time consuming, i would recomend buying the netting but i dont have a job, so im making it to save money for my .17hmr but i have been having lots of snow days so it gives me somthing to do
does anyone know if u can buy different color burlap? b/c i dont want to dye it and i dont want the whole thing to look like dead grass.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »
Squirrelslayer, check out wallyworld. I bought a large package of  camo burlap for about $9.00 there. The burlap measures 12 feet by 54 inches, pretty good piece for a few bucks.The color isn't bad,either.

Facebook Comments