December 13, 2017, 11:33:08 PM

Author Topic: Working up a deer  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Working up a deer
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:24:07 PM »
How many of you take your kill to a butcher?  I've always done them myself, but I'm hearing more and more talk about just paying to have them worked up.
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline henry

Re: Working up a deer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 09:39:21 PM »
I do all of our deer processing. :mrgreen:That way I can get the cuts that my family likes. ^-^But here about two years ago I had to put a limit on the deer I was cutting up . Because everyone in our neighborhood that deer hunts wanted me to do their deer for free. Family is fine but , and a few choice friends. I used to work as a meat cutter. I make tenderloins butterflied, steaks tenderized the only thing I couldn't do is grind the meat for deer burger.  Two years ago I cut up 44 deer for friends and it didn't leave me much time for me to hunt :sad:

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:43:47 PM »
I had my one and only done but proably not the next one.I have alterior motives for working in the grocery meat dept.Besides making a living,I watch,ask questions and learn.That with a little reading from the library, I think I can handle it.I can still eat my mistakes.Just don't seem right to pay someone esle to do what I can do for myself.
Not enough people in this world willing to get their hands dirty(bloody) and be self sufficient.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 09:47:38 PM by MOSPARKY »
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 12:50:21 AM »
If i get lucky and kill one early and the weather is warm, i will take it to a butcher that i know.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 07:49:03 AM »
Our family does all their own. We bought a saw and grinder from a butcher shop going out of buseness years ago and that sure makes it easier. This way we make the cuts we want and the rest gets ground up for bugers and sausage. The father in law has a smoke house and he does a real good job on the sausage. It sure dont take to long to process a deer when ya have a hand full of people doing it together.l
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 04:46:10 PM »
We used to always cut our own meat and had a very bad experience with one butcher shop, so we went back to cutting up our own deer. Now, though, I think we will try to find a different shop to cut our meat.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline cm.crackshot

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 05:04:15 PM »
 :-P   my old man cuts up all of my deer he tried telling me if you bring them you help so i went and bought him a 50cal and started taking him hunting ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 08:40:44 AM »
I do all of mine.  That way, I know what the meat's been through and I know I've actually got MY meat.  That being said, I do take some of the ground meat to a processor to have sausage, salami, and polish sausage made.

BTW, my other grinder quit, so this past fall I went to Lowe's and got a new one.  The grinder did up two deer this past fall without a problem.  The griner was only about $100 too.  Good deal for what it can do.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline JohnDoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 09:21:22 AM »
I do my own too. Sometimes I make roasts, other times I use the meat for jerky. Only thing about the jerky is it gets eaten up so fast.  :'(
Neck shots = no running.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 10:17:27 AM »
cmcrackshot, your dad really does butcher a lot of deer. He will need that sharpener I gave him last time he was here.  Hey, it's really great to have you here, along with your dad, of course. We have to have some new members to pick on! :wink:  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments